General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

LS1 powersteering return line replacement...

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2014, 09:10 PM
Launching!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Unhappy LS1 powersteering return line replacement...

My stock power steering cooler finally let go in my '02 Camaro SS and cross contaminated my coolant with PS fluid (I know I should have ditched that thing long ago ). Anyway now that I have to deal with this my shop wants to replace all coolant and PS hoses (they're due anyway from a maintenance point of view...108k miles), in addition to completely flushing out the contaminated junk.
I went with GM or ACdelco parts, got an external power steering cooler as suggested by the "power steering cooling success" sticky on this forum, but my dealer is saying the low pressure return hose from the rack to the stock PS cooler is discontinued and cannot find a NOS or aftermarket piece anywhere. The GM part number is 26068526 for reference.

What are my options here?
It looks like the return lines for the V6 f-bodies are still available...will this work or are the bends in the hard line portion too different. Do I need to find a place that can custom make/bend the hardline portion and crimp onto the rubber hose portion, essentially making my own custom return line? I thought I read somewhere that some Napa auto stores can do this. Anyone have one in good un-contaminated condition for sale?

Also while they said they wanted to replace all the hoses, they didn't mention the hoses going from the water pump to the heater core. Do you think I should replace those too or would the flush be all that is needed? I didn't see any sweating on those lines from the contamination, just the main coolant lines, and some small leaks on the PS lines.

Thanks for the advice!

UPDATE: I just want to clarify that my GM dealer/shop techs are a bunch of morons, 26068526 is a simple pre-bent U-hose from the stock cooler to the reservoir (which I didn't need anyway since I was replacing the stock cooler). The line from the rack to the cooler is 26068527 which actually does seem to be available.

Last edited by zfastss; 05-03-2015 at 08:04 PM. Reason: added reference part number
Old 10-02-2014, 10:10 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It's discontinued, that is correct. All that needs done is some generic heater hose and a little modification as pictured in this post: https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...l#post16389327
Old 10-02-2014, 10:59 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

I agree with demonspeed. In regards to the low pressure line, you really don't *need* the fancy compression-type fitting. Simple clamps will do for low pressure, in fact it's nothing more than a simple clamp (over a flared nipple) that holds the return line onto the reservoir from the factory.
Old 10-03-2014, 08:45 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take your old one to a hose fab shop and they can probably do it for you (if you don't want to do the above method).
Old 10-03-2014, 10:09 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
I agree with demonspeed. In regards to the low pressure line, you really don't *need* the fancy compression-type fitting. Simple clamps will do for low pressure, in fact it's nothing more than a simple clamp (over a flared nipple) that holds the return line onto the reservoir from the factory.
This is important to note as it puts things into perspective.
Old 10-03-2014, 10:20 AM
Launching!

Excellent points about it being low pressure and a simple clamp at the pump return. Thanks for the help!

How about your thoughts on if I should also replace the heater core hoses from the water pump or would a flush be good enough? Again, I didn't see any sweating coming from these lines.
Old 10-03-2014, 12:03 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Here's the sticky with more detail on replacing the crimped clamps with a regular clamp: https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...-fix-pics.html
Old 10-03-2014, 06:07 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My heater hoses started getting those small pinhole leaks spraying all over the engine bay at ~110K miles (right near the bends that go into the water pump mainly), so I would change them out, even if you have to use that method posted above by wssix99
Old 10-28-2014, 04:09 PM
On The Tree

Just FYI, I found this thread while looking for a solution for the return line I broke.

The V6 power steering return line fits on our LS1 rack, I had to slightly bend the hard line out of the way of the alternator - if you have a tube bender it's super easy. The rubber line is bent for the V6 pump but it's got plenty of length without being tight.

I made a hole in the metal line while trying to get my polyurethane motor mounts in, so I couldn't just replace the rubber line like most of the threads suggested.

The V6 return line is still available at parts stores, and it was only $19. I was able to get it same day from Advance Auto.

It looks like this

Last edited by FlatBlack; 10-28-2014 at 04:13 PM. Reason: added picture
Old 10-28-2014, 07:37 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Very interesting and helpful post, FlatBlack!

Said V6 return line is ACDelco 36-352040 and Amazon has it for $15.55 shipped.
Old 11-08-2014, 04:07 PM
Launching!

Excellent tip FlatBlack! My dealer was able to source a NOS one for the LS1 from a dealership across the country. I ultimately ran it to a derale external PS cooler per the power steering cooler success thread sticky. Steering feels good again and no more cross-contamination in my coolant...I just wish I did it sooner so I wouldn't have had to deal with PS fluid in my coolant.
If anyone is reading this debating on ditching the stock PS cooler...GET RID OF IT NOW before it causes you all kinds of problems. See the power steering cooler success sticky.
Thanks everyone for you advice
Old 11-17-2014, 07:26 PM
Launching!

this only works when the hose is damaged and even when u get the v6 assembly it leaks like crazy
Old 11-18-2014, 03:29 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by xenergyx
this only works when the hose is damaged and even when u get the v6 assembly it leaks like crazy
Is that because the part doesn't fit or is your personal problem something not related to the hose, like a cracked rack, etc.?
Old 11-19-2014, 07:27 AM
Launching!

the original design of the return line is shaped totally different and isnt providing enough clearance between the OHIO GENERATOR 400A alternator and the p/s return line the positive post is touching and coming so close that its arcing and punching a hole into the line(yes even through the protective boot or the return line got hot it melted it).........this just started ive had the alternator in since march.

Any way i fixed the problem .....they still make a 1994 pontiac firebird v6 p/s return line(19mm wrench or an adjustable crescent wrench), which works in the v8 model that in conjuction with hack sawing the sleeve around the posi post so my zero guage lead would be flush with the alt and the sawing of the post its self.

The hose line its self was a lil short so youll need about 2 feet of hose just to be safe depending on how you route it

The reason why I went with this models part was because its a 90 degree bend right after the bolt is fully seated.....the only other possible option would be to put some washers behind the alternator to pull the alternator away from the lines.

This fix was like 28$ with fluid.....but not before i spent about 100 buying different lines to see which would work.
Old 12-17-2014, 03:15 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by xenergyx
Any way i fixed the problem .....they still make a 1994 pontiac firebird v6 p/s return line(19mm wrench or an adjustable crescent wrench), which works in the v8 model that in conjuction with hack sawing the sleeve around the posi post so my zero guage lead would be flush with the alt and the sawing of the post its self.

The hose line its self was a lil short so youll need about 2 feet of hose just to be safe depending on how you route it
What year part did you use? I didn't have to cut anything or buy new hose - the V6 one works, you just need to get a brake line bender and bend the hose slightly out of the way of the alternator.

I've been through a few races and a full track day on the V6 line and it doesn't leak a drop or have any other issues.

Quick Reply: LS1 powersteering return line replacement...