General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Tilt spring retainer

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2014, 10:38 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Tilt spring retainer

I am trying to get my steering column back together after taking it apart to fix the loose wheel problem. I have the upper tilt housing back on and now I need to get the tilt spring back in place. I cannot for the life of me compress the spring enough to lock the retainer back in place. I actually stripped out the square hole on the retainer and had to get one off ebay. Has anyone else had issues with this? All the instructions say just push it down with a #3 phillips and turn clockwise, like it's no big deal. Here is a pic of the part I'm having trouble with.

Old 12-10-2014, 07:53 PM
Teching In

Not sure if the info you need is here, but if you haven't looked, give it a try. Best info for the GM steering columns I've seen
http://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/w...ck_Rebuild.pdf

It really is super easy to pull the steering column off a junkyard car. Putting them back in aint so easy. LOL, but if you're stuck, might be the way to go. Main thing you'll need to do is switch aroo the ignition lock cylinder
Old 12-11-2014, 06:56 AM
On The Tree

Ya, thats the guide I used but the spring just will not compress enough. I tried to find a whole column to swap but all 5 I tried had the loose tilt problem mine had.
Old 12-11-2014, 10:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I hate this steering tilt issue I tore mine down thinking it was the 4 bolts that hold the lower housing in, like what that article you pulled the picture from said was the issue, but basically put it all back together and still had the same issue. Turned out it was the pins that hold the lower housing to the top and the holes on the lower housing turn more egg shaped. I already had a shop work on it by replacing the lower housing and center punching the pins, and that worked for about 3 months and it came back. Anyways yeah this is a big PITA tearing apart but for me putting that lock spring back in wasn't really an issue. I just used a large Philips screw driver in the square hole, aligned it up, pushed in, then turned to lock it in place. maybe 1 note is to maybe keep the upper housing tilted up as high as it will go, then try to push the lock in place. good luck.
Old 12-11-2014, 10:30 AM
On The Tree

All 4 of my bolts where tight and there was no discernible slop in the pins either... I have no idea why it feels so loose.

I have the upper housing tilted all the way up but it's still not enough. I may have to swap the spring out for something shorter or lighter. I can't even get the retainer down in the housing at all. It's sticking out about 1/8" pressing as hard as I can on it.
Old 12-11-2014, 01:17 PM
On The Tree

So it turns out that the little "ears" on the retainer had rolled up the edge of the notches inside the upper housing which was obstructing the retainer from sliding further in. Thirty seconds with a file and it went in like butter.
Old 12-11-2014, 02:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rjc1629
So it turns out that the little "ears" on the retainer had rolled up the edge of the notches inside the upper housing which was obstructing the retainer from sliding further in. Thirty seconds with a file and it went in like butter.
uhg what a pain. glad to hear you got it in. I noticed that I could only really feel the "slop" if I stuck the steering wheel on and then I can feel it but with the pressure of the spring without the steering wheel it was hard to feel any play.

The play in the steering wheel is a down and to the left motion right?

Quick Reply: Tilt spring retainer