General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Mirror housing

Old 02-13-2015, 10:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Mirror housing

Hey all, driver side mirror housing the whole piece itself seems to be loose when i go over bumps or driving on the highway at high speeds. It can be annoying at times, I was wondering if there is a way to tighten it up. I've searched on here but search isn't being so friendly. Do I need to remove the door panel to access some bolts?
Old 02-13-2015, 11:18 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mirrors

When I had to replace mine from age, I only found three bolts two on the inside of the doors skin and one on the outside of the door panel on the triangle plastic piece for the Camaro.

I hope this info helps you out.
Old 02-14-2015, 06:37 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 321 Likes on 294 Posts

This is likely your problem: https://ls1tech.com/forums/pontiac-f...e-mirrors.html

My condolences.
Old 02-14-2015, 07:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Just to be clear, the black painted part , not the mirror, but the actual piece attached to the door or whatever it is attached to has a little bit of play, it wiggles slightly, is this not fixable?
Old 02-15-2015, 08:14 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 321 Likes on 294 Posts

The broken bracket in the post I linked above is the piece that holds the mirror surround to the car. The mirror housing screws in to that bracket and then the bracket bolts in to the small triangle of space just forward of the window glass.

Some people have had success using JB Weld to repair the crack and others have used aircraft wire to tie the bracket parts back together. (The latter is probably the stronger repair.)

JB Weld did not work for me and I had to buy a salvaged mirror assembly just to get a replacement bracket.

If these cars are going to survive long term, we'll need someone to manufacture a replacement casting made of something other than pot metal. Unfortunately, I haven't seen such a thing available yet.
Old 02-15-2015, 09:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thank you for the information, I will check it out when I can, and either try JB weld or the other method. It isn't too bad but when i do drive or hit bumps/ highway speeds i notice a slight wobble on it.
Old 02-15-2015, 10:15 AM
11 Second Club

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

JB weld will work. you need to grind the bracket to roughen it up so the epoxy bonds correctly. I use needle nose vise grips to hold the bracket together. then I put down a layer of epoxy and cut small metal support rods and imbed them in the epoxy than add another layer of epoxy. you can build up the epoxy as much as you think is good. after its cured remove the vise grips and repeat. fix many bases and never had a problem. also don't nee to remove your door panel, just the triangle plastic trim.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Mirror housing