General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Rear main seal or something else?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2015, 01:02 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear main seal or something else?

Hey there, the car is an '01 Formula and when my oil level was topped off the car was leaking about a drop every 8 seconds coming from that small hole between the engine and trans. after the car got to operating temp. Now the oil level is about mid way on the dip stick but the car doesn't leak oil now. What gives? Is it the rear main seal or something else. Thanks.
Old 03-30-2015, 10:12 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by notnilc20
Hey there, the car is an '01 Formula and when my oil level was topped off the car was leaking about a drop every 8 seconds coming from that small hole between the engine and trans. after the car got to operating temp. Now the oil level is about mid way on the dip stick but the car doesn't leak oil now. What gives? Is it the rear main seal or something else. Thanks.
A drop every 8 seconds is a LOT. I'd be concerned. It may be rear seal but I'd go over everything real good with that much leakage. I understand it stopped now but I wouldn't trust your setup if it's leaking that much when full.
Old 03-30-2015, 06:55 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Troy, is it ok to drive the car with the oil registering half on the dip stick?
Old 03-31-2015, 08:41 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=notnilc20;18735264]Thanks Troy, is it ok to drive the car with the oil registering half on the dip stick?[/QUOTE

Being down a half quart is nothing.

Quick Reply: Rear main seal or something else?