General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Diagnostic Help Please! Starting issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2015, 02:35 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diagnostic Help Please! Starting issues

My 1995 Camaro Z28 with only 40,000 miles....was running starting perfect. I took to shop to replace any dry rot hoses and/or belts due to sitting for some time. Everything was fine for about 7 days after the replacements, my car would not start as easy. Before the new belts and hoses it would start immediately when I turned the key. Now, I have to crank it about 2 or 3 times (normally 3) before it will start. It starts this hard about 90% of the time but the other 10% it will fire up on the first try. The outside temp does not seem to matter; actually seems to start easier when it cold. The service engine soon light came on 2 months after this issue started. Other than the hard start the car runs and idles perfect. Any ideas???? Thanks, Bobbi
Old 04-16-2015, 05:24 AM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

So....tell us what the code was when the SES light came on...?

There is no code for tight belts or hose issues.....so its a fuel/air/spark issue.

Or just a dirty MAF. I would get a $7.00 can of MAF cleaner and empty most of the can on the entire front of the MAF and also clean the back. Also spray the IAT sensor in the lid, or wherever it is on a 1995, and then the rest cleaning the TB blade.

See if that does the trick......If it was a dirty MAF the engine should also run noticeably stronger.

(DO NOT touch any of the little tiny MAF wires with anything accept the spray from the can......)

If you have a K&N air filter...throw it away and get a paper filter.

Quick Reply: Diagnostic Help Please! Starting issues