General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Dead alternator???

Old 10-25-2015, 12:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Default Dead alternator???

Yesterday I was working with my stereo and had the key turned to the acc on position for several hours while I worked with it which was pretty much from 10 am till 4 pm then 7 pm till 10 pm... I did intermittantly start it and ran it for about 15 minute periods as to not drain the battery, however; I came back to my car today and the voltage meter is in the red zone while the car is running. Odd thing is the car isnt giving any symtpoms like its ready to die, turn signals also flash at normal frequency on electronic flasher (they usually slow down when my battery is low) - The car still cranks no issues... windows still roll up and down at normal speed... but my gauge is definately in the red... now oddly..this happened on the second crank for today, on the first crank my voltage went right up to 13 Volts...second crank its below 8! and it wont go up even after revving... Did my alternator just decide to die or is it possible my battery went alittle low?

Fairly new Duralast Gold Alternator - less than 1 year
also less than 1 year on my Optima red top.
Old 10-26-2015, 07:06 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

You've just given your battery a hell of a workout that 15 minutes of run time (yesterday) won't fix. I'd run the car for a while, let the battery come back, and then take it for a long drive and see if the cranking capacity comes back. If not, you may need to get a battery conditioner and tune up the battery before winter hits.

You could have an alternator problem, but given the workout you gave your battery, I'd guess that it's just having the issue.
Old 11-01-2015, 07:54 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just have battery tested to avoid all the driving imo..if it needs charging have them charge it(auto parts) or if its bad change it right there .or go to the dealership have them preform a complimentary charging test batt ,alternator ,starter.
Old 11-03-2015, 01:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Battery survived, waited a day later and it jumped up to 13 Volts like normal on crank. Weird issue that for just 1 day showing 8 volts.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dead alternator???