General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Rear main seal depth question

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2016, 10:15 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear main seal depth question

I needed to replace the slave cylinder and I figured I would replace the clutch while I was in there. Once I got inside, I found an absolute mess. I think there's 100k miles of clutch dust that mixed with oil and created a 1/2" thick sludge that was an absolute mess. I believe the rear main seal is the culprint and the flywheel was just flinging the slurry everywhere.

Anyway, when I went to install the new seal (which is a completely different design from the previous seal) I accidentally went a little past flush by maybe 1/8". I searched a ton and I've seen people say that the new seal type should be flush like the old one, but I've also seen people say that the new seal should be bottom out instead.

I used the AlignIt tool to install. How deep should the seal be installed? I'd appreciate the help. Thanks!
Old 06-09-2016, 12:23 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear main seal depth question - pics

I needed to replace my slave cylinder so I figured I'd replace the clutch while I was in there. Once inside, I found the bell housing was coated with a 1/2" slurry of oil and clutch dust. Very nasty. I figured it is the rear main seal that is leaking and the flywheel is flinging the oil/dust mixture everywhere.

I pried the old seal out and used an AlignIt tool to install a new rear main seal. The old one was a different design than my new seal, and when I went to install my new GM seal (GM# 89060436) I accidentally went a little past flush - maybe 1/8" deeper. I did not remove the rear cover. I searched online a bunch and saw some people say that the new seal design should be installed flush (like the previous design), while others say that it should gently be bottomed out. Can you please let me know what depth you recommend? Thank you!
Old 10-22-2016, 01:03 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow. Nobody replied? I'm doing this tomorrow. With an align it tool as well. There is a lip inside the rear cover. Bottom the seal. That is what the lip is for.
Old 10-22-2016, 08:24 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think mine went past flush as well, when I did it a couple months ago. I used the old seal to drive this one in. I know you want it to seat all the way back or you will have a leak.

Quick Reply: Rear main seal depth question