General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Noisy engine bay

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2016, 09:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Noisy engine bay

My engine and heads are completely rebuilt, I may have 2k-3k miles on it since the rebuild was done a year and a half ago. All belts and pulley's are new. I replaced my power steering pump bc it was screaming like banshee and my idler on my A/C bc of the same thing. The new A/C idler is shrieking again, and the pulley's in general are just noisy and not smooth sounding. My cam has some lope, and you can hear some valve-train chatter, but the pulleys make the car sound like and 80's Bonneville. What should I do?
Old 12-30-2016, 03:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

i have this whistle that i can't figure out for the life of me where its coming from. have you tried starting the car w/o any of the belts on? i thought it was my belts but i took all of them off and it still whistled.
Old 12-30-2016, 09:03 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you've pin-pointed it to your pulleys/belts, especially after a rebuilt, I'd look into the alignment of those pulleys. I bet one of them is off center, either forward or back than it should be.
Old 12-30-2016, 09:34 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by michaelhawk
If you've pin-pointed it to your pulleys/belts, especially after a rebuilt, I'd look into the alignment of those pulleys. I bet one of them is off center, either forward or back than it should be.
+1 Some of the pullies also have spacers and dust shields. Some folks have had noise issues when these bits weren't put back properly.

I assume you have localized the noise to the A/C belt by removing it? What parts did you use for the pulley replacement?
Old 01-13-2017, 07:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

The A/C belt or pulley is the majority of the problem. I replaced both and I cant remember what brand of either I purchased but the squeal never really stopped
Old 01-13-2017, 08:51 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

I would do the following:

- Get some pictures/diagrams of the pulley installation and dust shields and make sure yours are correct.
- Get a mechanics stethoscope and use it to fix noise
- Remove th A/C belt, fix all noises, put A/C belt back on, fix all A/C noises at that time

Quick Reply: Noisy engine bay