General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Hello all, okay here's the issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2017, 11:16 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hello all, okay here's the issue

Hello from Ft Worth all. My wife recently picked up a real nice '99 Formula Hawk. 46K mikes. Very recent issue tho, a metallic rattle in the rear slightly intermittent while driving but at home a shook the tire side to side and it clunked more than I care to hear. It won't be until Wednesday before the shop opens it up. Please share similar issues. Thanks in advance.
Old 01-30-2017, 01:18 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,069 Posts

Is the rattle speed or rpm dependent? Could be a number of things, especially exhaust related (muffler itself, or pipe contact with a heat shield or deteriorated insulators causing hanger-bracket contact, etc.)
Old 01-30-2017, 04:58 PM
Teching In

Hey, well I I guess you can say speed but doesn't matter which speed. It's def not any exhaust related issue. The metallic rattle of sorts started the same time as the clunking with the side to side push. Might pull the cover tonight to take a look at things in there. If I find C Clips or worse, well than I know what the deal is. No grinding was heard so perhaps that's a good thing.
Old 02-02-2017, 02:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 127 Likes on 86 Posts

Check your panhard rod. If it's aftermarket with rod ends, you could have a worn end. Been there, done that. As far as your lateral play on the axles, sounds like your typical c-clipped 10 bolt.
Old 02-02-2017, 03:08 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by TA_Freak
Check your panhard rod. If it's aftermarket with rod ends, you could have a worn end. Been there, done that. As far as your lateral play on the axles, sounds like your typical c-clipped 10 bolt.
I should have posted resolved. The rattling was the brake pads. Original, no grease, plastic outside coat gone. I pulled wheel off and pulled in and out and it was fine, 1/16 and that's okay. That night it just seemed like a whole lot of clunking going on! All better, changed out the oil and put in the additive so should be good to go.

Thanks all!
Old 02-02-2017, 05:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 127 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by TheWifesHawk
I should have posted resolved. The rattling was the brake pads. Original, no grease, plastic outside coat gone. I pulled wheel off and pulled in and out and it was fine, 1/16 and that's okay. That night it just seemed like a whole lot of clunking going on! All better, changed out the oil and put in the additive so should be good to go.

Thanks all!
Awesome!

Quick Reply: Hello all, okay here's the issue