General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Another "my car doesn't start" thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2017, 10:41 PM
On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Another "my car doesn't start" thread

So this morning a family member woke me up at 6am to move my T/A. Short story short, my car didn't start after I let her move my car.

One thing I noticed is that my key cylinder feels like it's not operating correctly. I am able to turn the key completely forward but my starter doesn't turn over. I hear the fuel pump kick on and also see my running lights turn on though.

The second thing I noticed is that my ignition key does not have one of those little resistor pieces on it like I've seen on other later GM cars. My car has operating fine without it.
Does this mean I don't have VATS on my '98?

My car is a '98 T/A LS1 Auto.

Where's the best place to start on this diagnosis/repair?
Old 02-03-2017, 07:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 127 Likes on 86 Posts

Sounds like your VATs system was bi-passed previously if your key doesn't have the resistor. Start with the simple stuff. Battery terminals tight without corrosion? Does the engine kick over at all? Do you have a check engine light? Are you saying that the cylinder lock feels different than what you are used to.

That'll teach you to let someone else drive your car!
Old 02-03-2017, 08:01 PM
On The Tree

Whoever owned the car prior to me, installed an aftermarket security system. I would like to remove it because every time I open the door, I have to start the car quickly or else the alarm goes off.

Also, I wiggled the wires on the battery and tried to jump start the car but the starter is not activating when the key is in the forward position. I do hear the fuel pump turn on and see the driving lights turn on.
Old 02-03-2017, 08:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

As a test, try to crank it and see if the interior lights even dim. At least we could see if it's the starter. Even though the fuel pump is getting the priming signal, there still could be a battery issue (doubt it now that you mentioned that someone else wired in a security system) as the fuel pump load is much less than the starter's.
Old 02-06-2017, 07:02 PM
On The Tree

Ok, so I feel like a total dumbass right now. The shifter was half-way between Park and Reverse. This is why the ignition felt messed up and the car didn't start.

Kudos to my Dad for pointing out the obvious.
Old 02-06-2017, 09:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ah ... good deal!

Quick Reply: Another "my car doesn't start" thread