General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

starting problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2017, 06:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default starting problems

hi so i have a 2004 Pontiac gto with the ls1 and i just pulled the motor out due to lack of oil pressure and needed new cam bearings and one main bearing so after that got fixed and put back in i have been having some problems the first one was it was driving like there was moisture in the tank so i ran some 108 octane booster and the sraightened out but now if the car runs for a while then you stop at a gas station or something and shut the car off when you try to start it back up it has problems starting and you have to give it a lot of gas to get it to start
Old 04-07-2017, 12:48 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Fbodies have common issues with the main ignition relay partially going bad, I'm not sure if the same problem happens with gto's but it's a quick thing to check. Swap the ignition relay with a fan relay to see if that changes anything

If that doesn't cure the problem I would check out the engine ground cables. On the fbody the drivers side rear cylinder head has a bolt for the engine harness ground and it typically can break. Also check out the main engine ground from the drivers side middle of the block that goes to the chassis, ensure the bolts are tight and the cable isn't damaged
Old 04-07-2017, 08:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 127 Likes on 86 Posts

It's either fuel or spark. Simple test is to shoot a little carb cleaner in the throttle body when it's struggling to start. If it starts fine, then take a look at your fuel pressure. Try that and report back.

Quick Reply: starting problems