General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Oops. Need to fix Fuel Line

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2017, 08:48 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Oops. Need to fix Fuel Line

Was doing some work on the car this weekend and long story short, through the process of jacking it up and down and moving stands and probably kicking things with my feet as I worked, I managed to crush one of the fuel lines.

Basically I was setting the car down on some stands and one of the lines got pinched between the car body and a tire. Crushed it pretty flat for a small section a little shorter than 1". I believe it is the return line but I'll verify that when I get some time to dig around a manual or shoebox's website.

I was thinking the easiest fix would be to cut out that section, and splice in some sort of similar steel pipe.

Just wondering what size these lines are and what types of parts I'll need to Frankenstein this back together.

Thanks!

Edit* It's possible it is the EVAP line.

Last edited by nodnarb481; 04-24-2017 at 08:57 AM.
Old 04-24-2017, 07:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Try a compression fitting
Old 04-25-2017, 11:32 AM
TECH Regular

Found a picture in another thread. The line I crushed is closest to the camera with the weird ribbed lining around it. This guy has steel braided fuel lines so it looks like this would be the EVAP. If i'm correct on that, I'm just going to delete EVAP and remove that line.
Attached Thumbnails Oops. Need to fix Fuel Line-lines.jpg  
Old 04-27-2017, 05:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

That's the brake line for the rear brakes, not fuel.
Old 04-27-2017, 05:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Just wondering out of plain curiosity here.. given its a brake line, would it be safe to splice anything between there? Or would a full replacement be most recommended? I personally wouldn't feel safe about it but thats me.
Old 04-28-2017, 12:49 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Need4Camaro
Just wondering out of plain curiosity here.. given its a brake line, would it be safe to splice anything between there? Or would a full replacement be most recommended? I personally wouldn't feel safe about it but thats me.
I've been having a pretty lengthy discussion with a member on another forum and doing some homework so here is what I've found:

It is the rear brake line and it is very long. If you want to replace the whole thing, its best to pull the old one out and use that as a guide to bend a new one. It will need flares at either end and will need the proper connections. You can also remove it from the car and take it to a shop and basically say "make me a new one."

However, if you don't want to replace the new one, you can splice in a new section there. I spoke with my mechanic friends and as long as proper double flares are made, a union can be inserted and it is perfectly safe and legal. Some people say you should replace the whole line. There's plenty of debate on it around the internet. I'm perfectly comfortable splicing in a section if it is done right and that is what I intend to do. You want to use proper brake line which in this case would be 6mm Poly-armour. Pretty easy to find at most parts stores. I plan on heading to NAPA later.

The hardest part is making good flares (particularly on the old line) but I plan on buying a lengthy section of line and just practicing in my driveway until I achieve brake line nirvana.

I've got plenty more info if you want to know anything else.

Last edited by nodnarb481; 04-28-2017 at 01:06 PM.

Quick Reply: Oops. Need to fix Fuel Line