General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

am i good to go?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2017, 05:53 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default am i good to go?

Got my engine back together, needed to bleed my coolant,(removed and reinstalled my coolant tubes under the intake, when I removed them some coolant did come out) I saw online about raising the front end of the car, putting in a funnel in the radiator opening adding coolant about halfway, and turning the car on, when I added the coolant a lot of bubbles came up, started the car, let it run for about 10 minutes, had the heat/defroster on full, verified the fans were running, but the coolant level in the funnel barely changed. Thanks all, definitely don't want the bird to overheat.
Old 07-04-2017, 06:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 345 Likes on 237 Posts

Good to go, burnout time.
Radiator cap off, start, wait for bubbles to stop, cap on, go
Old 07-05-2017, 08:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by 98CayenneT/A
Good to go, burnout time.
Radiator cap off, start, wait for bubbles to stop, cap on, go
I've honestly never been able to successfully bleed my 99 in this method. If I remove the cap and let it idle it will pump every last bit of my coolant onto the driveway. I can leave it off for about 5 minutes of bubbles but after that my radiator becomes a fountain and just gushes coolant way up past the hood and never stop and I lose ALL of my coolant. I have to cap it up and then drive about 20 minutes until the low coolant light comes on, park it, wait an hour, re-open the system and top it off.. repeat until the low coolant light never comes on again.

I've replaced the thermostat & housing twice, all radiator hoses and the radiator itself are fairly new too, water pump was also replaced twice, I gave up on it.
Old 07-05-2017, 08:42 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

with mine, when I had the car in the air, put the funnel in, added the coolant, a lot of bubbles came up, this was BEFORE I started the car, I assumed the only air pocket I had would be in the coolant tubes underneath the intake since I removed/reinstalled it. after the bubbles were gone and I started the car, the level in the funnel slowly started to rise.

Quick Reply: am i good to go?