General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Over heating issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2017, 07:59 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Over heating issues

Hey All! New to the forum, but have found good advice in past by reading other posted questions.

I have a 2000 WS6 TA Love it but man it sure has been expensive to maintain lately!!! I have been experiencing a continued overheating issue. Radiator was replaced last yr. did fine up until few mths ago I noticed it was not heating up and I'd have to turn on/off the heater, then it was starting to overheat. checked water level and sure enough it was low. After adding water it seemed to be fine, heated up when heater was turned on, but every few wks I'd have to add water. Then it was loosing water weekly, I kept looking for a leak nothing, then one day I see a puddle and sure enough the water pump is leaking, ugh! Had that replaced along w/thermostat about 2 wks ago and Still having overheating issues. What concerned me was water was staying in the overflow tank yet not in the radiator? So replaced the cap under advisement and it's still overheating and I'm having to add water to radiator. Anyone else have/had this issue and what did you do to fix it?
Old 07-07-2017, 05:00 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Try another "new" cap....make sure its an 18psi cap. make sure the lip around the radiator neck has no rough edges so the cap will seal for sure.

Only other way water gets pushed into the over flow tank, other than an overheating issue.....blown head gasket(s). You need to do a coolant system pressure test. Tool is free to use at most auto parts stores.

See if it holds pressure. Fill the system completely up, making sure ALL the air is out of the system. Then do the pressure test.

Note: If you do not see any leaks while tis under pressure, but it did lose pressure. DO NOT start the engine. You could have filled a cylinder with coolant through a blown head gasket. If you start it like that you will lose the engine and it will need to be rebuilt.

Remove all spark plugs until you find the one with coolant in it. Then you can turn the engine over to push the coolant out.

But after you pressurize the system....get under the front end with a flashlight and try to find where the coolant is going.

Even a pressure test sometimes does not find an extremely small and tight leak.

Old 07-08-2017, 02:25 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I recommend a pressure test as well

Make sure when you fill the radiator you first disconnect the steam pipe under the throttle body until you get a steady stream of fluid out of both the hose and the nozzle for the pipe

After that run the car with the cap off and the heater turned to hot. After the thermostat opens the car will burp the air out of the radiator cap
Old 07-08-2017, 07:27 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Please add your location to your profile. It makes a big difference, particular for issues like this.

Are you sure you have a good water pump? Did you get a new or reman pump?

A pressure test is the best place to start. Going with a OEM style AC Delco radiator cap will also save you a lot of guessing. From there, we can help narrow things down.

Quick Reply: Over heating issues