window motor rivets moving!? - LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion



General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

window motor rivets moving!?

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-15-2017, 11:22 PM   #1
TECH Fanatic
Thread Starter
iTrader: (23)
 
BlackSS2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Joplin,MO
Posts: 1,131
Default window motor rivets moving!?

I'm about to replace my window motors and I noticed around the rivets on the driver side there was ware marks on the door. I rolled the window down and when the window reached the bottom the rivets moved up. When the window reaches the very top the rivets move down.

My question is how do I go about fixing this? I wasn't going to remove these rivets as I was going to go this rout. http://shbox.com/page/windowmotor.html

I can replace the rivets and that's not a big deal. I just don't think that will fix anything as I'm assuming the holes in the door are oblong/oval now.
BlackSS2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 12:06 AM   #2
TECH Enthusiast
iTrader: (1)
 
Crf450r420's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Florida
Posts: 619
Default

Not sure if you are talking about the rivets that hold the window motor, but there are ways to fix anything. You can go to larger rivet and make the holes round again. If that won't work you can use a sleeve and the original size fasteners (the window motor goes back in with bolts) or you can plate the holes with some metal and drill that to the correct size an location.
Crf450r420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 12:38 PM   #3
TECH Fanatic
Thread Starter
iTrader: (23)
 
BlackSS2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Joplin,MO
Posts: 1,131
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crf450r420 View Post
Not sure if you are talking about the rivets that hold the window motor, but there are ways to fix anything. You can go to larger rivet and make the holes round again. If that won't work you can use a sleeve and the original size fasteners (the window motor goes back in with bolts) or you can plate the holes with some metal and drill that to the correct size an location.
It's the rivets that hold the plate to the door.
BlackSS2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 01:02 PM   #4
On The Tree
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Houston/Clear Lake, TX.
Posts: 161
Default

Can you post a picture?

Regardless, you might be able to use larger rivets or can you drill the current rivets out and replaced them with nuts and bolts?
383z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 03:17 PM   #5
TECH Fanatic
Thread Starter
iTrader: (23)
 
BlackSS2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Joplin,MO
Posts: 1,131
Default



I drilled out the rivets but you can see the damage from them moving.

BlackSS2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 03:19 PM   #6
TECH Fanatic
Thread Starter
iTrader: (23)
 
BlackSS2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Joplin,MO
Posts: 1,131
Default

I'm wondering if drilling out the hole in the door to a specific size and finding a metal spacer to fill the area and then use a large washer then putting the rivet through both of them.
BlackSS2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 03:23 PM   #7
TECH Fanatic
Thread Starter
iTrader: (23)
 
BlackSS2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Joplin,MO
Posts: 1,131
Default



Something like this. The door hole and spacer would have to be a very tight fit but wouldn't it work?
BlackSS2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 04:53 PM   #8
TECH Fanatic
iTrader: (13)
 
farmington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Metro Detroit area
Posts: 1,666
Default

Don't even try to use rivets to install motors. Screws, washers, lock washers , and a nut. Don't over think this.
farmington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 05:59 PM   #9
TECH Fanatic
Thread Starter
iTrader: (23)
 
BlackSS2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Joplin,MO
Posts: 1,131
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmington View Post
Don't even try to use rivets to install motors. Screws, washers, lock washers , and a nut. Don't over think this.
Who does that? Seems a bit of a half *** way

Either way bolt or rivet, something else will be needed to keep either from moving.
BlackSS2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 06:05 PM   #10
TECH Senior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: South Florida
Posts: 10,830
Default

I can't remember exactly right now......but I had this exact issue like 10 years ago......

I went to the dealership and asked them for a pack of specifically designed rivets for this issue. They gave me a pack of 3 or pack of 5, can't remember.

I drilled one rivet out at a time and replaced it with these new heavy duty rivets one by one. Still have my car today and they are all 100% rock solid still.

Just call the parts guy at the dealership......they should know what they are.

.
LS6427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 09:43 PM   #11
TECH Fanatic
Thread Starter
iTrader: (23)
 
BlackSS2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Joplin,MO
Posts: 1,131
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS6427 View Post
I can't remember exactly right now......but I had this exact issue like 10 years ago......

I went to the dealership and asked them for a pack of specifically designed rivets for this issue. They gave me a pack of 3 or pack of 5, can't remember.

I drilled one rivet out at a time and replaced it with these new heavy duty rivets one by one. Still have my car today and they are all 100% rock solid still.

Just call the parts guy at the dealership......they should know what they are.

.
Awesome! I was going to the dealership tomorrow anyway. I'll go a bit of looking around before and see if i can't find them. Thank you.
BlackSS2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 09:18 AM   #12
TECH Regular
iTrader: (2)
 
bleepster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Mid-Michigan
Posts: 446
Default

i just did this on my bird. I got the proper rivets and you need a special rivet gun to handle the rivets. like $20 at harbor freight.

anyway, i epoxied fender washers over the holes that were wrecked. riveted everything together and window works awesome now.

i got 10 GM rivets off Ebay for $8 (10 GM Window Regulator Rivets 1/4 Diameter 10157547)
and this is the rivet gun you need:
Amazon Amazon
bleepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 06:33 PM   #13
TECH Senior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: South Florida
Posts: 10,830
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleepster View Post
i just did this on my bird. I got the proper rivets and you need a special rivet gun to handle the rivets. like $20 at harbor freight.

anyway, i epoxied fender washers over the holes that were wrecked. riveted everything together and window works awesome now.

i got 10 GM rivets off Ebay for $8 (10 GM Window Regulator Rivets 1/4 Diameter 10157547)
and this is the rivet gun you need: https://www.amazon.com/Dorman-743-10...NN14HXW33366X7
Good post......those are the ones.....

.
LS6427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 01:34 PM   #14
On The Tree
 
flyboy129's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 144
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSS2001 View Post
Who does that? Seems a bit of a half *** way

Either way bolt or rivet, something else will be needed to keep either from moving.
Me. Works great. Cheap. Simple. Use washers and nylocks. Wrench tight and sandwich the parts. Door panel hides everything anyway. Hardly half-assed considering we're talking about a product GM built.

Also, in case you aren't aware of this, don't allow your windows to bottom out when rolling down. I'm pretty sure this is one of the causes of this issue.
flyboy129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rivet Nut Tool Kit REPSilverado Tools & Fabrication 6 09-12-2017 10:35 AM
Repairing damage from previous owner window motor install - need input. Need4Camaro General Maintenance & Repairs 50 02-14-2017 09:25 PM
window regulator Ragna General Maintenance & Repairs 5 08-04-2016 07:22 PM
Can't drill through rivets to get off window motor... front2back New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech 3 01-11-2016 07:06 PM
window regulator problems sprung_monkey General Maintenance & Repairs 3 12-16-2015 06:25 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:43 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: