General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

1999 Camaro OVERHEATING / fans not working

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2017, 09:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 Camaro OVERHEATING / fans not working

Need some direction. I have a 1999 Chevrolet Camaro Z28. However the engine is from a 2002 Trans Am (still an LS1 but i learned the later ones are a little different than the 1999). The coolant is boiling over and the fans are not coming on. The temp gauge in the vehicle works normal but does not go past 210 marker, yet alas the car is obviously overheating since the water is boiling from the overflow. The fans are also not coming on. So I checked them by removing the switch and testing them straight to the battery, they come on fine then. I have changed the relays and same problem. I just recently changed the coolant temp sensor, same issue. Not sure what to do next. Any help would be greatly welcomed.
Old 08-04-2017, 11:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 162 Likes on 120 Posts

The sensor for the fans is not the same as the one for the fans. You tube it to see where it's at.
Old 08-04-2017, 08:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It is the same sensor, the ecu triggers the fans at a certain temperature

You have a coolant leak that is causing a pressure loss and injecting air in the system causing you to boil the hottest coolant out of the car

Rent a cooling system pressure tester from your local auto parts store and pump it up to 18psi. Step back from the car and inspect for coolant leaks
Old 08-07-2017, 10:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe it is going to be an ETC issue. I checked the fuse box and there is no fuse there. Looks like there hasn't been for a while. The metal bracket the fuse goes in is missing on one side. Appears it was wired some weird way because I've had the vehicle since '13. Oh well, time for toggle switch fans.
Old 08-12-2017, 02:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

try the 2 easy fixes which fixed my overheating problem - new thermostat & radiator cap. mine was overheating after about 20-30 min of driving, & even on shorter drives when car turned off you would hear the coolant boiling for a good 20 min until it cooled down. i actually changed my thermo 1st & it still did the same thing, but it was very old & seemed like it needed replacing anyway, but the problem didn't stop until i went back to the parts store & bought a new rad cap. - & spend the extra 5 or 6 bucks & get an ac-delco one

Quick Reply: 1999 Camaro OVERHEATING / fans not working