General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Starter grounding out issue

Old 09-20-2017, 10:51 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter grounding out issue

About a week and a half ago, my 2002 WS6 A4 was blowing the 50 amp ignition fuse every time I turned the key to the start position. I had let a family member who was out of town borrow my jack and tools so I was pretty much dead in the water and had to have it towed to a shop. I strongly suspected it had something to do with the starter and I was right. They said the solenoid (assuming they meant the wire on it) was grounding out. They supposedly fixed it. It drove fine from Friday until yesterday when I pulled into my driveway from work and now It's back again blowing the same fuse. I now have my tools so I'm going to attempt the repairs myself. I didn't have enough daylight left to start yesterday so all I did was jack it up and take a look. I couldn't see anything that looked like it was burnt or grounded out but I had very poor lighting. I had bought 3 more fuses so a family member suggested I use one of them and turn the key forward while they stuck there head under there to look and sure enough, he saw a large orange spark near the starter when the key was turned forward and it immediately blew the fuse. I replaced the fuse and tried to repeat this step again but this time it took several attempts and finally actually trying to turn it over before it finally blew again. Of course all it did was make a one click and blow the fuse. Something I'm wondering is if my effed up driveway could be pushing the starter closer to metal causing it to ground out. Very steep incline and my exhaust scrapes if I don't go at it the right way. I cannot afford to miss anymore work and already had to miss an entire week last week and now today. Should I just take the whole damn starter out and go from there? Any suggestions are very appreciated. FYI no mods on car, stock exhaust with original manifolds/pipes and 02's still intact. Starter was replaced back in June. I've had problems with the new starter sticking if the car goes more than 24 hours without being started before this problem even occurred. My uncle, who is a mechanic, installed the starter originally back in June. It was not shimmer which I didn't figure it needed to be...but maybe I am wrong. Nothing but trouble from this starter and no it wasn't a reman...brand new with a lifetime warranty. I had just replaced the water pump a week prior to when this problem first occurred but that shouldn't have anything to do with the starter. Any advice? I really need to get this done today.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Starter grounding out issue