General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Problems with instrument gauge cluster, please help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2018, 09:49 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Problems with instrument gauge cluster, please help!

Hello everyone! I am hoping you could assist me with my 1998 Trans Am. I am having problems with the interior and this is my first car so it is fairly new to me. The problem I am having is that none of the lights on the instrument gauge cluster turn on. Not only these, but neither do the ones on the steering wheel for the music controls or the A/C and heater controls. The only lights that turn on are the check engine one, the little red box with a red arrow, and the left blinker light that never blinks or flashes. Any idea what it could be?
Old 02-15-2018, 07:24 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 280 Likes on 243 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Do your tail lights work? If not, check and replace the TAIL LPS fuse which also protects the dash lighting circuit. If it's only the dash lights then check and replace the IP DIMMER fuse which only protects the dash lighting.

The turn signal indicators are a separate problem. Chances are you have a burned out bulb in one or more of the lamps which causes the flasher not to flash. Turn on your hazard flashers then walk around the car looking for lamps that should be flashing but aren't. Don't forget that there are two bulbs on each side in the back that should flash. Then check and replace the bulbs as necessary and also check the bulb sockets for corrosion - especially the front ones.
Old 02-15-2018, 08:23 PM
Teching In

Is it normal for the blinkers to not flash when the headlights are up? Because they do when they are down but not when they are up.
Old 02-16-2018, 07:58 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

It is possible that the DRL module, which controls switching between turn signals and daytime running lights when the headlights are off, could cause a problem. However, it is very unlikely because the only mechanical (i.e. prone to failure) parts in the DRL module are the relays which switch the front lamps and they would generally cause a problem with the headlights off (when DRLs are active) rather then with them on.

Have you had a chance to check the lamps with the hazards on yet? That's an important step in diagnosing the problem. If we need to check the DRL module after that, there are some simple tests with a test light or multimeter that we can do.
Old 02-16-2018, 11:46 AM
Teching In

Well first of all thanks for replying to my post. I can finally see my gauge cluster at night thanks to you and well, the hazards work when the headlights are off but when they are on the DRL's just run like normal but they dont do anything.
Old 02-17-2018, 07:02 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

The DRLs would not be on when the headlights are on. The front lamps are dual filament - they have a bright filament for DRL, turn signal and hazards and a dim filament for parking/running lights when the headlights are on.

Do you have a multimeter or test light? If so, you can check the DRL module. It is mounted to the defroster duct behind the radio. Remove the radio (carefully pry off the trim piece then remove the three screws holding the radio and pull it out) and you will see a small box mounted to the ductwork which has two 8-pin connectors - one black and one blue. In the black connector you will find pairs of blue wires. The light blue/white is the left signal input from the turn signal switch and the plain light blue is the DRL & turn signal output to the left front light. Similarly, the dark blue/white is input for the right side and the plain dark blue is output to the right front light.

Use your test light or meter to check for flashing power on each white striped wire when the ignition is on and the turn signal switch is on for the corresponding side. Then check the matching plain wire to see if you have flashing power there as well. Do this test with the headlights off and again with the headlights on. If you have no input power then the problem is with the fuse, the T/S switch, or the wiring between them. If you have input power on the white stripe wire but no output power on the plain wire then you know the DRL module is faulty. If you have both input and output power then you know the problem is with the lamp or the wiring from the DRL module to the lamp.

Quick Reply: Problems with instrument gauge cluster, please help!