General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Removing shock tower

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2018, 07:31 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing shock tower

Alright, so im trying to remove the passenger side shock tower so I've started removing the upper bolts. I've noticed though, there's a silver cylinder like object blocking one of the bolts. What is this exactly?

I tried unscrewing the wires/tubing that connect to this object, and air started escaping. Is this a bad thing or can I go ahead and unscrew it so I can reach the bolt.

https://ibb.co/cGo2n7
Old 04-02-2018, 07:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

there shouldn't bee anything bolted to the shock tower. Its just 4 bolts, two nuts and two bolt heads.
Old 04-02-2018, 08:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

thats part of your AC system. filled with refrigerant. do not touch. you shouldnt have to remove any of that
Old 04-03-2018, 10:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 95 Likes on 84 Posts

Are you truing to remove the tower, for some reason, or just pull the shock & spring out?? if you need to re position the receiver/dryer you can undo its mount and get it to flex over on the soft lines, don't un-do any line connections though as stated earlier it's got Freon in it.
Old 04-03-2018, 10:50 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm dropping my k member. It's just that the lines running from the dryer are not allowing me to get my ratchet around the bolt to loosen it so I can let my strut tower/shocks drop. I'll try moving around the lines a little.
Old 04-03-2018, 11:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 95 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by KnoxCounty865
I'm dropping my k member. It's just that the lines running from the dryer are not allowing me to get my ratchet around the bolt to loosen it so I can let my strut tower/shocks drop. I'll try moving around the lines a little.
ahh ok ok. Yea there should be a tab or a clamp around it, with a bolt into the tower you can remove that should give you access to what you need. Usually the passenger side is no problem, it's the drivers side with the Torx bits and master cylinder in the way that gives people fits.