General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

2001 trans am DLR/ parking light problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2018, 06:39 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 trans am DLR/ parking light problem

Hello everyone, I bought a 2001 trans am a few weeks ago and I signed up to this forum to learn more about the car. I been searching for a solution to my problem with no luck. So here it goes. When I bought the car the passenger side DLR/parking light and passenger low beam headlight did not work. So I replace the socket and the bulb with an led bulb and that fixed that problem, but I still had the low beam not working. I clean out the corrosion out of the connector that powers both turn signal and low beam and that fixed the problem with the headlight. But now I have a new problem, both front DRL work when all the lights are off including blinking turn signals, both parking lights work correctly when the switch is set to parking lights including blinking turn signals, but when I turn on the headlights the passenger side parking/DRL turns off but the turn signal still works when the switch is turned on just like it’s supposed to. I replaced the DLR module, converted all the exterior lights to led and running a electrictronic flasher so that the turn signals work correctly. Again everything works correctly except that one passenger parking light that goes off when headlight are turned on. If anyone can point me in the right direction I greatly appreciate it.
Old 04-16-2018, 06:47 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by Luis Jimenez
Again everything works correctly except that one passenger parking light that goes off when headlight are turned on. If anyone can point me in the right direction I greatly appreciate it.
The parking/turn signal lights have to filaments. One for the turn signals/DRL and one for the running lights.

When your headlights come on, a signal is sent to the DRL module to turn off the DRL lights. (That is the turning off you are seeing.)

At the same time, the headlight switch should directly power the running/parking light filament.

So, I would think: (to check out)
- Your bulb is bad (try stitching left to right and see if the problem moves)
- Your socket is not wired correctly or you have a socket problem
- You have a wiring problem on the running/parking light circuit