General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Sudden throttle loss issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2018, 01:39 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sudden throttle loss issue

Ok hoping this is the right section, looking for some input. 05 escalade ext. 6.0.
So randomly while im driving i occasionally have loss of throttle for a split second. Ive replaced the engine a few days ago due to a bad oil pump and the problem persists with the throttle.all the sensors on the engine are new so i know its not engine related so im down to the throttle body, ignition system, or drive by wire box, or pedal assembly im assuming.
Its a drive by wire system so im assuming the issue is in that system. I have no reduced power warning either. The truck has a mail order tune also. Any input guys? Also on a side note i know my cluster is turding out but my battery light is always staying on. Ive verified proper charging so any ideas on that as well?
Old 04-16-2018, 06:42 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

If this happens when you press the gas pedal it could be a fouled MAF. (The engine can't sense all the air that is coming into the engine and cuts the fuel accordingly.) I assume your MAF would have been transferred across engines.

Are you running a K&N air filter???
Old 04-16-2018, 03:22 PM
Teching In

I am running a k&n but it not at take off its at like 1/8 throttle its just a momentary blip of loss of throttle.
Old 04-16-2018, 06:01 PM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by Clesser247
I am running a k&n but it not at take off its at like 1/8 throttle its just a momentary blip of loss of throttle.
That's the K&N monster...

I would start by getting some MAF Cleaner (you need the specialized stuff so it doesn't dissolve the plastic in the part) and see if that clears up the problem. If it does, then you can go back to a paper filter to keep from it happening again.

When you look at the MAF, fouling will be black varnish on the wires. Some of us have had it so bad that we had to take a Q-Tip to the wires, but that's really risky/dangerous. (They are fragile.) If you have a magnifier, that will help see how clean the wires are.
Old 04-16-2018, 09:53 PM
Teching In

Swapped in a spare maf no change, ive also tried running some graphing sweeps of the pedal position sensor as well and ive got no dropouts in signal value either
Old 04-17-2018, 06:50 AM
Save the manuals!

Fuel filter, fuel pump? Do you have a tool that can record parameters as you drive?