General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

K member concern.

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2018, 11:48 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default K member concern.

Picked up a 96 z28 last weekend. 30k miles in fantastic shape, mint. Anyways, the k member was hit at some point and it's dented but didn't hit anything about it luckly. Not sure how the previous owner did it. The rest of the k member looks fine. Car drives perfect. Does it need changed?? I attached a picture!
Old 05-04-2018, 07:20 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by thake618
Anyways, the k member was hit at some point and it's dented but didn't hit anything about it luckly. Not sure how the previous owner did it. The rest of the k member looks fine. Car drives perfect. Does it need changed?? I attached a picture!
The car has been driven up on a curb. Judging by the damage, I would guess that it was about 5" high, came straight on, and involved two whisky sours behind the wheel.

My car has a similar affliction from an 8" curb brought on by an abrupt end to two 360's across a frozen bridge. It's a pretty stout plate and I would think you are fine as long as you don't see any cracking. My car has been fine for 4 years with this "feature". I just needed an alignment. I aspire to replace the K Member, but will probably only do that when I pull the engine.

Picked up a 96 z28 last weekend. 30k miles in fantastic shape, mint.
Many on this site would debate if a driven car can ever be called "mint," (unless it's green) let alone one that's seen any normal abuse, but if you want to get the car closer to the same it came out of the factory, you may consider a junk yard part for this one. Before you do a replacement, you should shop carefully. I recall some suppliers of aftermarket tubular K members (aftermarket design - if you want to go that way) have had problems with cracking on cars used for street use.
Old 05-04-2018, 09:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

where are you located? I have my old one setting here. It's not mint, but it's a lot better than yours and I'm willing to make a deal to get my garage space back.

As long as there is no cracks and your alignment is good, then it should be okay to drive it still, but it looks like it would have at least moved the lower mounting points in some.
Old 05-04-2018, 09:11 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Crf450r420
where are you located? I have my old one setting here. It's not mint, but it's a lot better than yours and I'm willing to make a deal to get my garage space back.

As long as there is no cracks and your alignment is good, then it should be okay to drive it still, but it looks like it would have at least moved the lower mounting points in some.
everything looks fine aside from that's a little sore to the eye. A swap Dosent seem terrible.....
Old 05-04-2018, 09:13 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by wssix99
The car has been driven up on a curb. Judging by the damage, I would guess that it was about 5" high, came straight on, and involved two whisky sours behind the wheel.

My car has a similar affliction from an 8" curb brought on by an abrupt end to two 360's across a frozen bridge. It's a pretty stout plate and I would think you are fine as long as you don't see any cracking. My car has been fine for 4 years with this "feature". I just needed an alignment. I aspire to replace the K Member, but will probably only do that when I pull the engine.

Many on this site would debate if a driven car can ever be called "mint," (unless it's green) let alone one that's seen any normal abuse, but if you want to get the car closer to the same it came out of the factory, you may consider a junk yard part for this one. Before you do a replacement, you should shop carefully. I recall some suppliers of aftermarket tubular K members (aftermarket design - if you want to go that way) have had problems with cracking on cars used for street use.
lol I hear ya it sat covered in a heated garage for 5 years. Paint is immaculate, all the bolts, underside looks new with no corrosion ect. That's what I mean by mint. I stole the car for a great price so if it needs a k member or a seal, so be it
Old 05-04-2018, 01:19 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

lol I hear ya it sat covered in a heated garage for 5 years.
Resting and teetering back and forth on a curb, no doubt. lol