General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Car started overheating?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2018, 08:27 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car started overheating?

Hi I have a 98 Pontiac firebird. My car started overheating today. I drove it for about 1 hour and after I parked it and started the car again and drove the car the gauge showed it’s over heating and going back to the middle gauge. Couple months ago it was overheating but I got the hose where it was leaking from replaced and also the thermostat. They had also done a coolant flush once they done the repair. Does anyone know what might be the issue? It does not stay over Heat. It overheat for a couple of seconds and goes back to normal temperature and starts to over heat again. The cooling fan does start running once it starts to overheat.
Old 07-12-2018, 02:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 148 Likes on 134 Posts

It could be normal. As the engine gets hot the fans turn on and cool it down. Is it a v6? What temperature does it get to?
Old 07-12-2018, 06:19 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Nathan C
It could be normal. As the engine gets hot the fans turn on and cool it down. Is it a v6? What temperature does it get to?
Hi actually it is not normal because usually it goes 210 in the middle arrow but now it is going a little further to right in the middle arrow before 260 temperature. The fans turn on when it gets hot but at the same time the temperature goes down back to normal even when the fans are not on. Im not sure what exactly the issue is. I had the same problem where the car was overheating and I had got that fixed. Im thinking it can be a radiator cap that was replaced or also the thermostat.
Old 07-12-2018, 06:19 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Nathan C
Yes it is a V6
Old 07-12-2018, 06:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Check the water in the radiator,make sure it full.
Old 07-16-2018, 10:01 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Probably just a failing coolant temp sensor. Needle movement like that is absolutely not normal. Change the sensor. If that doesn't fix it return it for a refund. Just tell them you never installed it.

Quick Reply: Car started overheating?