General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

LQ4 Refresh also Reuse or Replace Bolts

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2018, 01:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LQ4 Refresh also Reuse or Replace Bolts

I'm pulling a LQ4 from a 2002 Denali and putting it in my 68' Jeepster Commando. While it's out, I'd like some suggestions & advice. Was told water pump was recently replaced so I'll inspect it.

Could I get some opinions on Mahle brand gaskets? I have many in my cart.

Oil pump (Melling M295HV), inlet tube seal, oil seal, pickup tube gasket, pan gasket, rear main (with retainer gasket), dipstick o-ring, drain plug and drain plug gaskets.
CLOYES 93658TX3 timing set (works with stock cam?). Melling Timing Damper (saw a couple bad reviews but I'm not seeing much selection and figured I should replace the damper), Timing cover gasket set (which includes water pump gasket)
Valve cover gasket set with grommets
Throttle body gasket (I'll clean the throttle body at that time)
Belt tensioner & new belt
Thermostat and its o-ring
Missing anything you'd replace while it's out?

As for bolts, which do I need to replace? Only one I saw that specifically needed replacement was the harmonic balancer bolt...
Harmonic Balancer Bolt (supposedly that needs to be replaced, not reused)

If something jumps out that should be done while I'm at it, let me know. Truck doesn't have any money lights on and only MIL missing is EVAP, so all sensors seem to be operating.

Still need to get set up with radiator and not sure whether I'm going to use this power steering pump or not... Also going to go with a SM 465 and NP205 with the LS7 pilot bearing, Saches 1050, Novak to CJ7 slave cylinder/throwout & NU1909 clutch.

Last edited by jjthesavage; 08-09-2018 at 01:47 PM. Reason: Added a question.