General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

No start

Old 10-15-2018, 08:10 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No start

Okay a little info on the car, 1995 Pontiac trans am lt1 t56 manual.

I bought this car and the engine has spun a bearing out the old engine went and in with the new short block, the cam is the comp cams 292xfi hr13 cam .575 Xtreme energy, the timing chain was replaced with roller style and I made sure it was dot to dot, rolled the engine over a couple times by hand and installed engine. In went the 7/16 studs and trick flow 7.300 hardened push rods with guides and the comp cams extreme 1.6 roller rockers, adjusted to zero and 1/2 turn preload, I put the harness back in place the only thing not hooked up is the driver's side O2 sensor as I can't find where the hell the connector disappeared to, im trying to get it started to make sure everything is good at this point. This may be the breaking point this may be the culprit....I hooked the starter up big cable where it's supposed to go and TWO small solenoid wires. 😱 Yup uh-oh, you guessed it the black wire with white tracer and the actual only wire that was supposed to hook up the purple. I tried to start. No no no no no. Nothing I researched apparently black with white tracer and to hear it said im not the first is the ecm ground I just applieds 12 volts to a few times. Ouch that hurt! The starter acts like it is barely engaging the teeth of the flywheel. So I learned thats a big no no. But I know that now SMH! I removed the wire and installed purple only. The engine cranks over im showing great oil pressure on the gauge on the dash but no start just sputter here and there.
Check fuel pressure 42 psi at key on
Check wiring to icm
A is 12v
B is 1v ac cranking
C is 0 ohms
D is 12v

Opti wiring
A is 5volts
B is 5 volts
C is 12 volts
D is .2 ohms but I see good from .2 to .0

The ground wire is on the spark plugs and wire bracket stud but is not tightened down.

Can anyone point me In the right direction to get this car started im itching to hear it run.

The optispark is new it came with the car but I don't know what brand I took it apart and locktited all the bolts and ran a bead of silicone around the cap and base. The coil is new and the icm is new but doesn't have the thermal paste on it yet.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated in advance guys and girls thanks!

Old 10-16-2018, 09:14 PM
Staging Lane

Update ground wire has been hooked up but car still will not start, I used the noid light in the driver's front fuel injector (only one I can see while cranking) and im getting flashes. I put an in line spark plugs tester in at the #1 plug and videoed with phone while cranking the engine over and it's producing a bright spark, is there any way to tell if the spark is actually getting to the cylinder at the right time though????

Any suggestions guys?
Old 10-19-2018, 10:15 PM
Staging Lane

No help from anyone but that's not saying everyone was as stumped as I was, but I want to thank everyone still. But most of all for everyone needing help here is the best thing to do, when you finally fix your problem guys please post up your results so everyone knows what fixed the problem.

This is the second time I've told myself no the new part isn't the problem. That brand new optispark distributor looks good on front of the motor but something must be timed wrong inside of it because the car will not start with it, I put on the old oil covered nasty dirty optispark and boom the engine roared to life and sounds amazing it has to be the best sounding car I've ever heard (I put a lot of money and time into this car). Even though the wires checked the rotor im still saying was pointing at the wrong plug.
Old 10-22-2018, 03:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You need to summarize. You’re typing novels. We don’t need to know the backstory of your car. And break up the walls of text with paragraphs or something.
Old 10-22-2018, 03:57 AM
Staging Lane

I know when I type I usually write a long paragraph but I like for people to know exactly where I stand with the car. Where the engine came from and what happened to the car.
The back story of the car tells a lot about where the car stands the locked up motor could have caused something on its way out, something could have caused the motor to go out, something could have been done wrong during the engine swap, I could have built the engine wrong, it's my first engine I've built besides caterpillar truck engines, and I was working 5 days a week 12 hours a day falling sleep while building. I couldn't think straight.
There could also be something not hooked up or something hooked up wrong causing the car to not start like the ecm ground wire.

Simply put when someone is not here physically to look at the engine I've got to give them the most vivid description I can so they can try to see where to help and what's be done what has or hasn't been hooked up like the driver's side O2. What has or hasn't been checked.

Search this Thread