front cowl water drain

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2018, 12:49 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default front cowl water drain

Hi to all.

1999 Camaro.

Someone of you know where is located the cowl water drain under the whipers motor cover?

I see a drain hole in the middle that drain rain water over my air intake manifold and I dont' know if it is normal.

thanks for your help
Old 11-19-2018, 11:37 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it is best that water does not drain onto the intake manifold. Rusted knock sensors and other issues can pop up, this thread had a few of the answers you might be looking for - https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...op-engine.html

People run the hose over the cowl, then pop the hood to see where the drainage is coming from, then they seal it with silicone/RTV/weatherstripping to keep the water out. Should be fairly simple, however I have never checked if it was normal, but I would avoid it if you can.
Old 11-19-2018, 12:22 PM
Teching In

I think I will use a D weatherstipping under the grey cowl plastic cover and siliconeor rtv on the pin if it is necessary.
I don't want to use siliconeor rtv on the cowl plastic cover because it became difficult to remove in future.

what do you think?
Old 11-19-2018, 03:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Volcente
I think I will use a D weatherstipping under the grey cowl plastic cover and siliconeor rtv on the pin if it is necessary.
I don't want to use siliconeor rtv on the cowl plastic cover because it became difficult to remove in future.

what do you think?
Sounds like a good place to start. I agree the silicone/RTV could be problematic if you needed to remove it at a later date. Depending on the size and amount of water coming through you should be able to seal it up with the weatherstripping.

I can't imagine it being an issue but do keep an eye on where the water is traveling after your weatherstripping is in place, want to be sure you're not just shifting the issue onto some other important parts.

Maybe somebody will chime in with some fixes they have applied. I know there are a good amount of threads out there talking about this topic, I just can't seem to find one specific thread that had some really good info in it.
Old 11-19-2018, 03:55 PM
Teching In

Under the cover there is the cowl with the point where the water have to come to go on the right fender and on the left fender.
I have see in some photo that there is some metal "bridge" of the body on the cowl under the plastic cover, so I think that the water that comes from the widescreen to the air intake flowing on this "bridge".
If I put a weaterstip at the end of this "bridge" I think the water can go in the right part of cowl.
Then is important to seal the part where the plastic cover become together and the pin.
I see what I will find under the cowl cover in this topic:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/drag-raci...-ps-wiper.html

Thanks for your help and sorry for my bad English!
Old 11-19-2018, 04:44 PM
TECH Apprentice