General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Overflow tank leaking from the top

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2019, 07:10 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Overflow tank leaking from the top

Hello all,

1999 TA automatic. Temp shot up yesterday...the overflow tank was totally empty. Underneath the battery was wet, so I pulled it and the tank. I filled the tank up with water and flipped it upside down thinking that it may have been cracked or damaged in some way...water started leaking from the top of the coolant tank (see pic). I pulled the half rubber/half metal hose out and it slipped out really easily...I suspect that the rubber grommet is just old and has softened causing a bad seal between it and either the tank or the metal hose.

Can I buy just the rubber grommet?
Should I just try to find a used tank and hope that the grommet in that one is OK?
Would a new tank come with the rubber grommet?

Thanks in advance!

The tank leaks from here when filled with water and flipped upside down

The metal hose slips in and out of the rubber grommet very easily and feels loose

Last edited by jdoostil; 04-03-2019 at 07:11 PM. Reason: fixed text
Old 04-03-2019, 07:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

Interested for info.
Old 04-04-2019, 06:05 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,489 Likes on 1,072 Posts

That grommet is not available through GM, nor will you get a new one if you order a new bottle (the grommet was a separate item). I tried to get one of these about 5-6 years ago from the dealer and they were already not available at that time. To the best of my knowledge, nobody is yet reproducing these. However, I've found that a PCV grommet from a Ford application (don't remember the specifics, this was many years ago and done for a friend's car) can be made to work. I found this piece in the "Help!" section of a local auto parts store.

Having said that, the overflow bottle should never be under pressure nor turned upside down during normal operation; that grommet is mostly there to prevent dirt and debris from entering the tank, not to prevent coolant escape or make a pressure-tight seal. If it's leaking from around the grommet during normal operation, then either the tank was overfilled to begin with, or it became overfilled due to some problem with the cooling system.
Old 04-04-2019, 07:03 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Having said that, the overflow bottle should never be under pressure nor turned upside down during normal operation; that grommet is mostly there to prevent dirt and debris from entering the tank, not to prevent coolant escape or make a pressure-tight seal.
+1 Nothing is wrong with the grommet here. That being said, the battery tray should not be wet, so either:

- There is a leak higher up in the hose.
or
- There is a source of gas in the coolant system forcing coolant out of orifices it shouldn't flow through.

If you can't track this down by manual inspection, then some coolant dye and a compression test should be conclusive as to what is going on.
Old 04-08-2019, 08:15 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts

I recently replaced the hose on the coolant bottle. Used a Dremel tool cut the hose at the aluminum piece shown in pic ( under battery). Worked like a charm... As the other guy said.. you won't find a new one anywhere!! I scoured the internet for one.
Old 09-11-2019, 03:03 AM
Banned

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by jdoostil
Hello all,

1999 TA automatic. Temp shot up yesterday...the overflow tank was totally empty. Underneath the battery was wet, so I pulled it and the tank. I filled the tank up with water and flipped it upside down thinking that it may have been cracked or damaged in some way...water started leaking from the top of the coolant tank (see pic). I pulled the half rubber/half metal hose out and it slipped out really easily...I suspect that the rubber grommet is just old and has softened causing a bad seal between it and either the tank or the metal hose.

Can I buy just the rubber grommet?
Should I just try to find a used tank and hope that the grommet in that one is OK?
Would a new tank come with the rubber grommet?

Thanks in advance!

The tank leaks from here when filled with water and flipped upside down

The metal hose slips in and out of the rubber grommet very easily and feels loose
These tanks are non-pressurized....it’s just a simple potable water type of tank. It should leak through the grommet. It’s all loose fitting items. Just like the cap, it has vents built in....water coolant will spill out easily.

Do what i said above and just use the rubber hose......no need for the metal pipe. Just make sure to measure the rubber hose so it’s about 1-2 inches from touching the bottom. It’s doubtful such a hard material like heater hose would perfectly push up against the bottom inside of the tank and seal to the bottom.....so just make sure it’s measured to hang 1-2 inches from the bottom.

If the hose hose is really lose in the grommet....simply get the hose where you want it.....then wrap duct tape around the house at the top of the grommet so the cannot slip into the tank any deeper.