General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Possible bad 02sensor

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2020, 11:57 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Possible bad 02sensor

So I got caught in a bad rain storm and had to drive thru a deep puddle and the car started stuttering and skipping, fast forward two weeks later when I crank the car it runs fine for about 2 minutes then it starts skipping and after 5 to 7 minutes of it stuttering it stops and runs perfect for however long I drive it until I cut it off then it’s the same thing all over again anybody know what could possibly cause this my thought was maybe o2 sensor maybe when I first crank it it doesn’t try to run off o2 readings and so it doesn’t skip then it try’s to use them and starts skipping then maybe it realizes it’s bad and goes back to a preprogrammed mode so it starts running fine again. Anyone with any knowledge please help I was going to do my first cam install tomorrow but don’t want to until I get to the bottom of this.
Old 07-31-2020, 12:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Kittrjt
So I got caught in a bad rain storm and had to drive thru a deep puddle and the car started stuttering and skipping, fast forward two weeks later when I crank the car it runs fine for about 2 minutes then it starts skipping and after 5 to 7 minutes of it stuttering it stops and runs perfect for however long I drive it until I cut it off then it’s the same thing all over again anybody know what could possibly cause this my thought was maybe o2 sensor maybe when I first crank it it doesn’t try to run off o2 readings and so it doesn’t skip then it try’s to use them and starts skipping then maybe it realizes it’s bad and goes back to a preprogrammed mode so it starts running fine again. Anyone with any knowledge please help I was going to do my first cam install tomorrow but don’t want to until I get to the bottom of this.
Sounds about right, and it would throw a specific error code. Have you scanned it?
Old 08-01-2020, 12:23 AM
Banned

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

Sounds like the 02 sensor(s) are not doing their proper switching during closed loop (cold). Then after its warmed up they can switch properly.

See if you have a code for 02 sensor Low Performance or Slow Response.

Not positive:
But I think 02 sensors don't come alive till after the coolant reaches 122*F. The MAF is handling everything. Then after warm up the 02 sensors take over and run the whole show, until you go WOT , then the MAF and 02 sensors work together during that period

Clean your MAF while you're at it.....
Old 08-01-2020, 08:00 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 352 Likes on 321 Posts

A bad O2 sensor would not explain both problems.

As noted, scanning for codes is the necessary first step. Beyond that, I'd be looking for loose wires and voltage problems that would be aggravated by damp conditions and cold engine bays.

Quick Reply: Possible bad 02sensor