General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Steering issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2021, 10:13 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 350 Likes on 263 Posts

Default Steering issues

I got stuck in a situation where the car sat for a while so my only comparison is the daily which is my GTO.

the issue though is on my firebird Steering rack is original but pump and lines are new. Column was swapped because my hub adapter got stuck on and didn't think I could remove it without doing more damage.

I've bleed the steering drove it several times, put the front end off the ground and went lock to lock about 40 times. (Which still feels stiff I would have thought with the wheels in free hang it would turn smooth) when driving there is a sort of dead spot to the left and right of straight. Minimal like 2-3 degrees of turn and she responds but even with power steering she isn't smooth turning and really not smooth turning wheel at a stop. Takes both hands and it's a fight. Pump was a new part from summit, column was a pull out.

At first I just thought it wasnt bled enough, but now I'm thinking I have a different issue. Is there something to grease or lube on the f body column? Column was swapped out of necessity pump was just done for aesthetics its black coated. I don't recall this issue when I first got it running back in 07 when it was on my OE column and a ls1 powersteering pump with the same rack, but I do have 295's upfront. Rack and tie rod ends have 70k or so on them?

Open to suggestions

​​​​​

Last edited by blackbyrd; 11-17-2021 at 09:17 AM.
Old 11-19-2021, 09:47 AM
TECH Veteran

So I guess there isnt a grease point in the column?

I played with my old one and noticed I could spon it by hand with out a steering wheel on it. I may try and cut the bub adapter off and see if I can salvage that column
Old 02-09-2022, 02:20 PM
TECH Veteran

coming back to this i got a chance to set in another f body and jacked the front off the ground, with key off the resistance is near nothing to turn the wheel. So im going to try and cut the adapter off my old column and switch it back and see what I get. At least then ive narrowed it down to an issue with the rack.

Quick Reply: Steering issues