General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Sudden Oil Psi Drop

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2022, 01:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sudden Oil Psi Drop

Hello everyone. I'm hoping to find some help. I own a 1995 Firebird Trans Am, 5.7L LT1 V8. I'm currently restoring it and ran into an issue I can't find anywhere.

Here's the back story and my symptoms:
I have 5w30 Mobil 1 synthetic oil with Mobil 1 filter. She starts fine, Psi reads around 60 on a cold start. After it reaches to temp, will read at 40 psi driving, idle around 20.
Recently, if I idle for a bit (at temp), the psi suddenly drops to 0, engine shuts off and "check gauges" light turns on. She can restart, but it's very rough.

I haven't driven her very much just because this is now the 2nd time it's happened, and of course more problems arise. I'm looking for any sort of help on how to fix this. I'm going to change my oil here soon, (praying it isn't bad bearings or anything internal. Crappy LT1s lol...)
Old 09-29-2022, 11:10 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 352 Likes on 321 Posts

How much time goes by between the oil pressure going down and the engine shutting off? Could the oil pressure be decreasing because the engine has already stalled?

Have you checked for codes?
Old 09-29-2022, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by wssix99
How much time goes by between the oil pressure going down and the engine shutting off? Could the oil pressure be decreasing because the engine has already stalled?

Have you checked for codes?

The engine shutting off and the pressure dropping at the same time. It shuts off and the pressure just drops, and light turns on. Idk what could cause the engine to stall at idle? I checked and no codes come up
Old 09-30-2022, 11:26 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 352 Likes on 321 Posts

The oil pressure sending units are not very accurate and give us junk for information. It sounds like your pressure is going to 0 when the engine shuts off, so that's normal. This doesn't sound like anything related to oil.

How many miles do you have on the car? Is it an automatic transmission? If so, the first thing I look at when engines crap out without explanation (with the car not moving) on Automatic cars is a failing torque converter. If this could be your case, I'd see if the problem happens in Park and then if it happens in Neutral. If the problem goes away in Neutral - then you have an issue at the transmission. (Probably the torque converter.)
Old 09-30-2022, 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by wssix99
The oil pressure sending units are not very accurate and give us junk for information. It sounds like your pressure is going to 0 when the engine shuts off, so that's normal. This doesn't sound like anything related to oil.

How many miles do you have on the car? Is it an automatic transmission? If so, the first thing I look at when engines crap out without explanation (with the car not moving) on Automatic cars is a failing torque converter. If this could be your case, I'd see if the problem happens in Park and then if it happens in Neutral. If the problem goes away in Neutral - then you have an issue at the transmission. (Probably the torque converter.)

Hey thank you for the advice. The transmission needs work done for sure. Possibly thinking of putting a whole new one on. It has very rough shifts. It is auto. Happened both times in drive. I'll give both times a try

Quick Reply: Sudden Oil Psi Drop