General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

changing oil in driveway

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2004, 05:48 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Something I didnt see mentioned. Always set the parking brake and chock the wheels. Whne installing the oil filter, it should just be tightened by hand, not with a wrench. Usually about 3/4 turn after the gasket touches. I dont really check how far I turn it, I just tighten it by feel, nice and snug.
Old 11-05-2004, 06:00 PM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

yes, just make sure its on there, it will heat-lock itself on.. you will notice it is always hard to get the oil filter off, also, if your using ramps there might be old oil left in the pan, it is a bad idea to use a filter wrench on the new oil filter. the internals are carefully designed and if you dent it all up it wont be as effective.
hope this helps.
Old 11-05-2004, 06:51 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RAN
Rhino ramps @ Pep Boys. You need them, they work great.
We dont have a Pep Boys here but i'll check out some of the other auto parts stores, thanks

-Stuart
Old 11-05-2004, 07:11 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Patman
I also pour a fresh quart of oil through my engine at oil change time too. I do this because the Corvette's oil pan will hold about a half quart of old oil at the very back, unless you jack up the rear of the car (the plug is at the front, so when it's up on ramp, oil gets trapped in the back)

So instead of jacking up the rear, I'd rather pour through some fresh oil to help push out some of the old oil.
I assume this can be a cheap quart as long as i jack up the rear and let most it get out.
Old 11-06-2004, 03:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tiger2o69
I assume this can be a cheap quart as long as i jack up the rear and let most it get out.
I don't use cheap oil when I do this, since I don't want to mix any other oil with what I'm using. So I do sacrifice expensive synthetic oil for this task. I've got 60L of German Castrol though, so I can afford to spare an extra quart.

Quick Reply: changing oil in driveway