General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

windshield wiper problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2005, 02:29 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default windshield wiper problem

It's been driving me crazy lately. My wiper blades don't clear water from my windshield. It's like getting a towel to dry your car but instead of having your hand flat, you "cup" it so the top and bottom parts get wiped dry but the middle is still wet. Only in my problem only the top part of the windshield is getting wiped dry and bottom part just collects water.

Solutions?
Old 03-30-2005, 03:19 AM
TECH Apprentice

This may sound simplistic, but have you tried installing a new set of wiper blades?

I'd strongly suggest trying Rain-X if you haven't already. In my experience, you wont even need to use the wipers, so long as the car is moving...
Old 03-30-2005, 08:52 PM
Launching!

you also might have to bend the wiper blade holder, i had to- worked fine after that. Rain x helps alot too.
Old 03-30-2005, 09:30 PM
On The Tree

Also one more thought, when i first got my car i didnt know that the windshield wiper U-shape holder thing (the metal part that attaches to the car that holds the wipers themselves if this makes sense) was the opposite way of most cars so you have to buy exact fit blades, you cant just buy any brand of the same length. But ya rain-x rules.

Side note, does anyone have the problem of the wipers sitting too high on the windshield? Mine never go back down where they are suppose to be seated i have to push them down all the way by hand. They sit like 3 inches up on the windshield.
Old 03-31-2005, 01:13 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by resurrectedz28
you also might have to bend the wiper blade holder, i had to- worked fine after that. Rain x helps alot too.
Bend the holder? How so?

I have replaced the wiper blades. I even when to the GM dealer to get the exact replacement ($50 each, by the way). I'll give this rain-x a go. But I'd really like to have my blades functioning normally.
Old 03-31-2005, 01:18 AM
Banned

Go to Autozone and buy some new blades. I dont see how the holder would get f'ed up unless you f'ed w/ them. Buy new blades at autozone and forget about it. ( ) jk jk
Old 03-31-2005, 06:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

I've owned two f-bodies and each one did the exact same thing, it turns out when you "accidently" open your hood with the wipers up, they get bent out of shape. Just go out and get new blade holders and your problem should be fixed.
Old 03-31-2005, 07:02 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wax your windshield when waxing the car. thats all rain x is anyway
Old 03-31-2005, 10:30 PM
Launching!

[QUOTE=LT1 Guy]Bend the holder? How so?

My wipers were like this when i got the car, so i just pulled the holder up and just bent it with my hands to fit the curve of the windsheild better. Dunno why the were like that, but they would only get the very top and bottom of the windsheild clear.
Old 04-04-2005, 12:39 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by satinleafct
I've owned two f-bodies and each one did the exact same thing, it turns out when you "accidently" open your hood with the wipers up, they get bent out of shape. Just go out and get new blade holders and your problem should be fixed.

Hmm... I've done that a few times...
How much would new blade holders cost?
And how much time would it take to install them?

And thanks to everyone who helped. I washed my car today and I pulled up the wipers off the windshield. I noticed that when I let go of them, they wouldn't slam back to the windshield (actually, the wiper on the passenger side just hung in mid-air). I WD-40'd the crap out of the them and now they slam back. Maybe that was the problem. I'll find out next time it rains.
Old 04-05-2005, 12:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 93ZM6

Side note, does anyone have the problem of the wipers sitting too high on the windshield? Mine never go back down where they are suppose to be seated i have to push them down all the way by hand. They sit like 3 inches up on the windshield.
Your wiper motor needs new bushings. My husband had to do this on my old Car. I guess when the bushings wear out the motor moves and the wipers get stuck in the wierd position.