General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Oil in my LS1

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2005, 12:01 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil in my LS1

I went to the store today to get Mobil 1 5w-30 synthetic oil like I usually do. Then, next to it I see Mobil 1 extended life or something like that, the same stuff as the usual oil I have been getting. It says guaranteed for 15,000 miles, but of course I will be changing it well before that. Has anybody heard of this stuff and is it any different? Thanks for your opinions. BTW, I am not looking for whether I use 5w-30 or 10w-30, etc.
Old 06-14-2005, 05:42 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i use it ... works great for me . ive heard nothing bad but like u said i dunno if id trust one oil till 15,000 i let the extended stuff go for about 5k then i change it. thats with the 15k oil.
Old 06-14-2005, 07:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's the link to Mobil's extended mileage oils webpage.

The big difference is that there is a more robust additives package that keeps working more miles/time.

Mobil 1 Extended PerformanceYou've never seen an oil like this before. Mobil 1® Extended Performance is a new high-endurance motor oil with 36 percent more anti-wear additives and 37 percent more cleaning agents than current Mobil 1 formulations. It is a fully synthetic formulation that helps extend engine life, reduce oil breakdown and minimize engine wear -- all while helping to keep your engine clean. Improvements that add up to exceptional protection for 15,000 miles. Guaranteed.
Old 06-14-2005, 07:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Forgot to mention...

The key to extending your oil changes is to change your filter every X-thousand miles. 3 to 5 thousand seems to be the predominant interval. This will keep the suspended solids under control. The oil you add to top off with will freshen the additive package and keep things going.

A LOT of people get queasy looking at dark oil and can't stand it, changing the oil a lower mileage. However, if the solids are under control and the oils analysis numbers are within specs, what's the problem?

I don't know if you follow the oil debates on the forum, but here are a couple of links that provide some relevant information:

Extended Oil Life Study in a Z28
Oil Filter Study
Veritable Cornucopia of Virgin Oil Sample Analysis
Old 06-14-2005, 10:50 AM
TECH Veteran

A lot of the good synthetics are going for longer and longer drain intervals... just means there are better additives in them now, that's all. I would totally trust this new Mobil 1 formula.

Amsoil also came out with their newer XL formula (which is what I use in my car) that is designed for at least 7500 miles/6 month intervals and is comparably priced with Mobil 1 at the retail level price-wise. I go 6 months with my car between oil changes (once before race season, once after), and I go 10,000 miles in my wife's CR-V with the same Amsoil XL.

Also, Amsoil's oil filter is damn good... good up to 12k miles. But I change out both the filter and the oil when I do my 6 month oil changes.

If you have any questions about Amsoil let me know, I'm a dealer and give great prices shipped for LS1TECH members.