General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

windshield wipers problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2005, 10:14 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need help, problem with car

I really hope someone knows somthing about windshield wipers here, cause im seriously stumpted. They wont shut off once turned on, it just stays in low if the switch in on any delay or low, but will go into high. Not only will it do this when i turn them on, but it will randomly turn themselves on from time to time. After about 10-20 mins on them on with the switch on off they will start moving just a couple inches up and down for a random amount of time till it finally shuts off. Though, on rare occations it'll work for a little while.

However, as if thats not wierd enough, the wipers work almost perfectly with the key on but the engine off. I say almost because while on delay it'll stop in the middle of the windshield.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I've never seen anything like this before and am baffled as to what it could be.

Thanks guys,
Mike
Old 06-20-2005, 10:25 AM
Staging Lane

You might have some sort of a short somewhere, Try pulling the fuse for them and see if they stop (completely) and look for sorces of a short, unfortunatly, they arent always easy to find. Good luck.

-Mark
Old 06-20-2005, 11:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

make sure your battery is grounded well to the chassis of the vehicle. If the ground to the chassis is loose the other systems in the car will try to complete their circuits through the engine ground, which is unstable when running.
Old 06-20-2005, 11:15 AM
On The Tree

Default wiper whoas

it does sound like you could have a short, but try list as well after you have tried everything else because this will cost you time and money. i had the stopping in the middle of the windshield problem too. i figured the wiper motor just got tired and once it was replaced every thing worked fine. with the other problems the wiper/turn signal switch might be bad too. again try these options after you varify that it is not a gremlin in your system becasue these options cost money.