General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

windshield fogging up

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2005, 04:15 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Help please...windshield fogging up

I just bought my 2001 Trans Am WS-6 A4 and I've taken it to the drag strip twice now. Both times I've had a problem with the entire windshield fogging up instantly right at the 1/8 mile traps. I have to throw the defroster on immediately so I can see. Has anyone else encountered this? What is the reason that the windshield is fogging up?
Old 07-16-2005, 08:56 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know the reason behind it, but if you pick up some Rain-X anti-fog wipes those work pretty dang good.
Old 07-17-2005, 12:55 AM
Cuz I AM a BADMOFO

Originally Posted by FelixIlka
I don't know the reason behind it, but if you pick up some Rain-X anti-fog wipes those work pretty dang good.
I agree. That "Fog-X" works pretty good. Try putting your heat/air control on the "recycle air" selection which lets in a bit of air...and make sure that the defroster selection is on...even without the fan on it will circulate a bit of air over the windshield and help out with the fog.
Old 07-17-2005, 08:17 AM
TECH Resident

Fogging up of the windshield is usually indicative of a leaky heater core. Perhaps under racing conditions yours is leaking. Usually you can smell anti-freeze inside the car.
Old 07-17-2005, 09:42 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 30thanniv
Fogging up of the windshield is usually indicative of a leaky heater core. Perhaps under racing conditions yours is leaking. Usually you can smell anti-freeze inside the car.
I haven't smelled any anti-freeze in the car. Thanks for the tip though, I will look into it.
Old 07-18-2005, 08:33 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 01_ram-air
I haven't smelled any anti-freeze in the car. Thanks for the tip though, I will look into it.
That was my guess too (leaky heater core). You might not smell it at first but if yours is leakng you will soon enough, also check under the car around the firewall on the passenger side for leaks. BTW if your heater core is bad its a simple fix.
Old 07-19-2005, 01:29 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 8-Pack
That was my guess too (leaky heater core). You might not smell it at first but if yours is leakng you will soon enough, also check under the car around the firewall on the passenger side for leaks. BTW if your heater core is bad its a simple fix.
I also agree, a heater core will cause it. Its happened to me before.