General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

electrical system woes

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2005, 08:59 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default electrical system woes

Alright I have replaced the starter and replaced the alternator recently on this car. New battery is also in the car. The other night I noticed a steady decrease in voltage while the vehicle is running. I removed the alternator and had it tested, came out bad. I replaced the alternator and am still suffering the same low voltage while the vehicle runs. How should I go about trouble shooting this? I have checked all the wires but plan on going back though them more thoroughly tonight. is there a fuseable link that could have popped? Any direction on this would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-26-2005, 10:28 AM
Teching In

voltage regulator maybe?
Old 07-26-2005, 02:19 PM
12 Second Club

Alright, I noticed the smaller wire to the top of the alt. was cut. I re attached it. Now the car shows good volatage While at anything but idle. Once the car is allowed to idle for a bit the voltage starts to draw down agian. Could the pulley supplied with the alt be too big in diameter?
Old 07-27-2005, 02:20 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by thebandit
Alright, I noticed the smaller wire to the top of the alt. was cut. I re attached it. Now the car shows good volatage While at anything but idle. Once the car is allowed to idle for a bit the voltage starts to draw down agian. Could the pulley supplied with the alt be too big in diameter?
It all depends on how well your battery is charged. If you have a well charged battery then the voltage wont read as high (while the car is running) as a low charged battery. Thats why they have a voltage regulator so your battery wont get overcharged. As long as the gage is reading in the 13V range then your OK. Naturally the voltage will be a little higher while the engine is running at a higher RPM because the alternator is working a little be harder.
Old 07-28-2005, 02:18 PM
12 Second Club

While the car is actually moving meaning not at idle the voltage is fine. When I come to a stop at a red light, stop sign, etc. The voltage starts to drop. If the car sits long enough it will then drop into the "yellow" area of the gauge. Could this have anything to do with the battery going bad? The stock battery is still in use and has been drained a few times (with the recent starter problems) and could be on it's last leg. Thanks for the help as I am not skilled when it comes to electrical systems.
Old 07-30-2005, 11:33 AM
On The Tree

If your having problems starting the car then I would suspect the battery. The battery is just there to start the car, and if your alt is bad then the battery will take over. I would suggest looking at the belt, maybe your belt is badly worn and causing strain on the alternator and not turning the alt enought to produce enough amps. Good luck!
Old 08-02-2005, 02:16 PM
12 Second Club

No problems starting. I think you might be on to something with the belt. I will give it a shot. Thanks again.