General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

hit huge pothole! thumping noise

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2005 | 10:32 AM
TECH Resident

Default Emergency Help needed!!!

Last night i went out partying or whatever and we were leaving this club and i hit a Huge pothole with the right side of my car. i didnt even see it. Well now the front right side makes a very loud thumping noise. It's real bad, i couldnt go over 30 to get it to my friends house. I looked around the car last night and i didnt see anything obviously sticking out but i couldnt get underneath last night. What could this be???
Old 07-28-2005 | 11:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

i had this happen one time and trns out i busted the inner portion of my wheel...it created a very slow leak and didnt go flat immediately...but guess what i contacted the city and they didnt have a leg to stand on as i had made a police report and took pics of the hole..drive your car back to that spot and call the cops...i got qa brand new set of 18 inch triple chrome plated boss 304's free since they didnt make my wheel anymore..hehe..i upgraded from aluminum to chrome...
Old 07-28-2005 | 11:14 AM
TECH Resident

What else could it be, because im pretty sure i didnt break the wheel. I think something in the suspension broke or something, but i dont know what because still drives straight and everything.
Old 07-28-2005 | 11:22 AM
TECH Addict

post in the suspension forum, im sure you will get more replies
Old 07-28-2005 | 11:31 AM
Staging Lane

Attached Thumbnails hit huge pothole! thumping noise-no-20drink-20and-20drive.jpg  
Old 07-28-2005 | 11:46 AM
TECH Resident

i wasnt drinking....i never drink and drive with my SS. Do you think i'm retarded? I love that you can assume things like that about poeple you dont even know.
Old 07-28-2005 | 01:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

umm i would start looking at a busted strut or maybe a sway bar..just an idea..if your having problems and still hearing it...call your city government and tell them what happened...to avoid a lawsuit im sure they will want to have your car looked at and whatever damage fixed...and take pictures of the pothole in case something major is wrong with the car and you did have to take it to court..but the city wont have a leg to stand on..turned out the one i hit was not properly filled by a gas main company that the city had contracted and sense they are responsible for keep the potholes filled you have a very good case on your hands...just contact your city manager and go from there..im sure they will want to take care of the situation

Trending Topics

Old 07-28-2005 | 01:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by jpat1023
i wasnt drinking....i never drink and drive with my SS. Do you think i'm retarded? I love that you can assume things like that about poeple you dont even know.
Last night i went out partying or whatever...
What else is everyone supposed to assume? Anyhow, I'd take a picture of the hole, and take your car into a shop and let them inspect everything, it could be more than one thing broken. That way you can get everything fixed at once instead of guessing here and there.
Old 07-28-2005 | 01:27 PM
TECH Resident

777---good point, haha.

And thanks for the input guys, but the weird thing is it still drives normal except for the loud noise. If a strut or sway bar broke would it still drive normal??
Old 07-28-2005 | 01:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Check for simple and relatively common things first:
1. Broken sway bar endlink.
2. Broken sway bar bushing shell.
Old 07-28-2005 | 01:50 PM
Staging Lane

you put 'partying' and 'club' out there man. perception is reality.
Old 07-28-2005 | 02:13 PM
Teching In

I think it's probably a good idea to not drink and drive at all... regardless of whether or not it is "your SS."
Old 07-28-2005 | 02:18 PM
12 Second Club

I just had the same noise issue but not to the same extreme. It turned out being my wheel bearing was pooched and no longer seating correctly.
Old 07-28-2005 | 03:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

well i dont think you have to be drinking to be partying and what not...i know i go to a few parties and i dont drink...but then again partying does usually constitue drinking but anyways thats not the question at hand...i would contact the city first before i took it to a shop because that would have to come out of your pocket..let them send you to a mechanic where they will pay for it and they can find out whats wrong with the car and take a picture of the pothole with something to indicate relative depth before it ends up getting filled cause someone complained cause they hit it too..
Old 07-28-2005 | 09:36 PM
11 Second Club

ok lets drop the drinking ****... he said he was not, back to the main topic....

my guess is also wheel bearing...

Quick Reply: hit huge pothole! thumping noise