General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

thumping sound coming from the rear

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2005, 03:04 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clunking Sound from rear!!!

I have a 98 Z-28, A4,FRA,Lid,EGR MOD etc stock suspension stock rear end

Took it to the track 6 months ago, and ran it once. After the run I heard this thumping sound coming from the rear. It's really noticeable in first gear when I'm at a stop light. It will thump through 1st gear then it stop in 2nd. Also, uphill its really noticeable. Also, when I hit a bump in the road I can feel the back wheels jump just a little. I have ok tires but I spin really bad off the line, it catches though. Tranny shifts good from 1st to OD, its just that D#@$ Thumping.

Question: What does this sound like?? (wheel hop, torque arms, upper lower control arms, rear end shot GOD NO, or something else?) Haven't taken it to a mechanic till I get you guys opinion (plus I hope its a easy fix)

Last edited by turbols1_05; 08-25-2005 at 01:29 PM.
Old 07-29-2005, 02:36 AM
Launching!

is it only a thump under acceleration? mine does that in first when i floor it and i can feel the car squat in the rear. Mine makes a noise where it's a "pop" but it goes "pop-pop-pop-..." really rapid almost like popcorn. I bet it's the torque arm. The stock unit is really flimsy and flexes. When it does this it ends up acting like a spring and will "pop" back from being deflected from it's natural position. This causes wheel hop because it rapidly changes the load on the rear axle which then sort of "bounces" off the ground. hope this helps. this is with the susp. mods in sig. I have a new TA in the mail hopefully it'll solve this prob for me. good luck
Old 08-25-2005, 01:28 PM
Launching!

Clunking Sound/Took it to the mechanic, and he said it was the shocks. Well replaced the shocks and its still their. Then he said that my rear end is leaking, and I need more fluid. Put more fluid and its still their.The right side rear wheel sits about 2in lower than the left. Whats going on guys Help me out.....
Old 08-25-2005, 03:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If your ride height is off then there are spacers on the rear springs that could account for that. My rear end leaks, slightly out of the front. I hear most of them do, where the driveshaft comes into the carrier. But the noise you were talking about sounds suspension. Might this even be LCAs? When you load up the rear end or hit a bump you get the noise? See if your LCA bolts are tightened to spec.

thats all i got. good luck
Old 08-25-2005, 06:18 PM
Launching!

thanks, but my mechanic said its that one of torque arm bushings is busted. Its being replaced tomorrow 11.00 bucks
Old 08-26-2005, 09:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Nice. Cheap stuff first is the ideal way to fix things.