General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

A/C only blows out warm air. Does not work.

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2005, 02:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default A/C only blows out warm air. Does not work.

My Air conditioner worked perfect yesterday. Today on my 15 minute ride to work I turned on the air and it would only blow out warm air. I got home tried to put FREEON and it would not take it.

What is the problem with my car? Why does the A/C blow out warm air?
Why does it not accepth the freeon?
Old 08-03-2005, 02:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My ac just broke too, it blows cold air but all this liquid seeps under the passenger side carpet and soaks everything! Theres a hole in something im guessing.
Old 08-04-2005, 09:15 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by MetallicBluews6
My Air conditioner worked perfect yesterday. Today on my 15 minute ride to work I turned on the air and it would only blow out warm air. I got home tried to put FREEON and it would not take it.

What is the problem with my car? Why does the A/C blow out warm air?
Why does it not accepth the freeon?
If your compressor isnt turning on then try your low pressure sw. If your low press sw is out then no matter what, your compressor wont engage. Your car probably isnt taking freon because it doesnt need any.
Try this: Jump the wires on your low press switch and your compressor should turn on. If it turns on it when you jump the switch then your freon is low (the purpose of the low press sw), if your compressor doesnt turn on then you might have a bad sw.

Good luck!
Old 08-04-2005, 10:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Take it to midas and have them check it out. Its not that expensive. You may have a leak or something. In my 97 cavalier, which i sold, but it would do the same thing, blow warm air. they put freon in, and it only worked for like 2 days. there was a leak so they have to replace something in there.
Old 08-04-2005, 01:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Seagraves#85
If your compressor isnt turning on then try your low pressure sw. If your low press sw is out then no matter what, your compressor wont engage. Your car probably isnt taking freon because it doesnt need any.
Try this: Jump the wires on your low press switch and your compressor should turn on. If it turns on it when you jump the switch then your freon is low (the purpose of the low press sw), if your compressor doesnt turn on then you might have a bad sw.

Good luck!
Yesterday I checked the pressure as I had the car running with a/c at full blast and it was too high and it was in the red mark a 100. So I lowered the freeon pressure to normal pressure and nothing. I checked the clutch and it engaged it was spinning fine. A/C is still hot.
What is the low pressure sw?
How do I jump the wires?
What is a bad S/W?
Old 08-04-2005, 02:19 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by MetallicBluews6
Yesterday I checked the pressure as I had the car running with a/c at full blast and it was too high and it was in the red mark a 100. So I lowered the freeon pressure to normal pressure and nothing. I checked the clutch and it engaged it was spinning fine. A/C is still hot.
What is the low pressure sw?
How do I jump the wires?
What is a bad S/W?
The low press sw turns your compressor on/off. It senses pressure in the system, if your car doesnt have enough freon in it it will cause low pressure, opening the sw. therefor it cuts off all power to the compressor so the compressor wont burn itself out from not having enough freon. If your compressor is engaging then your low pressure sw is OK. If you wanted to jump it just disconnect the press sw and jump one wire in the connector to the other (bypassing the sw) and your compressor will engage.
If the sw is bad then your compressor would never turn on no matter how much pressure you had in the line.
Now with that said, there is also a high pressure sw that does the same thing except it shuts the compressor off when there is too much pressure in the line.
I hope this helps, most of the ac problems are either not enough freon in the sys (causing the low press sw to open) which could be caused by a leak or bad switches (either hi or low)
good luck!
Old 08-04-2005, 02:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sounds good but I have no idea where the Low SW is not what it looks like?
Thanks though
Old 08-04-2005, 03:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Another good check is to simply touch the lines. The low side (big line) should be cold and the high side (small line) should be pretty hot. You can use this test to see if there is an obstruction( ice in the lines due to too much moisture in the fluid) as well as checking to see if the compressor is pressurizing the fluid

Quick Reply: A/C only blows out warm air. Does not work.