General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Distilled water???

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2005, 10:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Distilled water???

I'm going to sound like a ******* moron but what is distilled water? I'm assuming it is not tap water, but is it like bottled water or what? Thanks for reading my stupid *** question.
Old 08-17-2005, 11:21 PM
ACW
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can buy gallon jugs of it (look like milk cartons) that say "Distilled Water" on the label ...so technically it is 'bottled' water, but it's not the same as the drinking-water you buy bottles of (which sometimes even has certain minerals added to it to give it a little bit of flavor).

http://van.hep.uiuc.edu/van/qa/secti...1202083432.htm
Distilled water is water that has been boiled and then recondensed (that is, the water vapor is turned back into liquid water on a cold surface).

People distill water in order to purify it. Dissolved contaminants like salts are left behind in the boiling pot as the water vapor rises away.
So the water won't leave mineral deposits to clog things up.
Old 08-17-2005, 11:24 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks much ACW, I'm going to be flushing the cooling system soon and I keep seeing distilled water thrown around everywhere. Thanks man.
Old 08-18-2005, 09:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

It's useful for many things. Use it to humidify your cigars, makes good icecubes for drinks, and good to top off batteries with.
Old 08-18-2005, 10:59 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Distilled water is free from minerals, metals, etc that can eventually degrade the effectiveness of your cooling system. I know when you have a pool or spa you put chemicals in to neutralize the water so the minerals, metals, etc won't harm the pump, lines and other stuff. I think distilled water is pretty much the purest water you can buy.

Originally Posted by OneMeanZ
Thanks much ACW, I'm going to be flushing the cooling system soon and I keep seeing distilled water thrown around everywhere. Thanks man.
Old 09-09-2005, 02:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Were can one buy distilled water? I never realy looked for it, but I dont think I have noticed it being sold anywhere. Maybe I did and just assumed it was drinking water.
Old 09-09-2005, 03:48 AM
Staging Lane

another good water to use in coolant systems is di ionized water. We use it in the aircraft buisness
Old 09-09-2005, 09:26 AM
ACW
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Jimmy P
Were can one buy distilled water? I never realy looked for it, but I dont think I have noticed it being sold anywhere. Maybe I did and just assumed it was drinking water.
Can probably get it at an auto parts store. I've also seen it at just about every grocery store, and iirc also at places like CVS, Walgreens, etc. It'd be near the jugs of regular water, but with a different label on it that says it's Distilled.
Old 09-09-2005, 10:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

AFIK distilled water is 100% H2O, nothing but hydrogen and oxygen.
Old 09-09-2005, 02:19 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 777
AFIK distilled water is 100% H2O, nothing but hydrogen and oxygen.

Not completly true. 100% H20 will really mess up your body. Nuclear reactors on the subs use 100% H20 for fusion processes aka generate power and 2-5 drops of that stuff is leathal to a human being. we have to have the mineral in it for out body to properly consume it. The acid in our stomach and the pure H20 has a chemical reaction that is not good. little science lesson sorry.
Old 09-09-2005, 02:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm going by memory, and that is a little cloudy.

Distilled water is similar to evaporating a pot of impure water and capturing the condensate. You throw out all the minerals that didnt evaporate. Its OK to drink, but typicaly doesnt taste "good" and some studies show its not as healthy for your heart. Available everywhere for purchase.

Dionized water (DI) can be more pure than distilled depending on the process. Hard to find at your local store.

Your cooling system will run fine with regular tap water assuming that you add anti-freeze and change the fluid enough. But for those of us that love our cars, distilled is the way to go.