General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Buzzing Noise From Back

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2005 | 12:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Buzzing Noise From Back

Thinking that its just the fuel pump. I notice that when my car is running...if I go around back and lean down towards the bumper I can hear a pretty consistant buzzing noise. Only thing I can think of is fuel pump. I really never noticed it until a few weeks ago when I had to get down there to check a loose hanger.....obviously I don't make it a habit to get that close to my exhaust while the car is running. Is this noise normal....or a sign of my pump preparing to exit stage right??
Old 09-26-2005 | 02:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yep Fuel Pump.

GM fuel pumps are in general loud. I can hear mine from inside my car. My Chevy pickup was the same way, and so was my GTP. My GTP was the worst offender, it actually had a two speed fuel pump, and the lower speed was for when you were idling or sitting around, it was intended to cut down on the noise... but nope still loud as fawk.

Mine sounded like a tornado Siren when it started to go bad. When i replaced it with a brand new delco unit, it was back to its loud as fawk self.

if you are worried about the FP, put a fuel pressure gauge on the car and see what pressure you ahve
Old 09-26-2005 | 08:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I can hear mine very well from inside the car. No problems with it, just really loud.