General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Odd problem in the rain (SES light)

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2005, 11:03 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Odd problem in the rain.....

My 02 SS has developed a very odd problem in the rain. I noticed it last week when the SES light came on soild during a luke-warm start in the rain. There was no problem with power or gas mileage, so I figured water got on the MAF or O2 sensor. When I took it to the dealer to get the code checked it turned out to be an EVAP code, but it only had one instance of failure and the gas cap was tight. They cleared the code and everything was fine. Then today the SES light came on again under the exact same circumstances. Again, no lose of power or odd fuel mileage.

I was woundering if anyone had a similar problem? Is this a clue that the gas cap is starting to go bad or something?
Old 10-14-2005, 11:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A buddy of mine was throwing P0442 EVAP (slow leak). Bought a new gas cap but kept coming back. Ended up bringing it to a local shop and they pressurized the system with smoke, found a leak and repaired it. His wasn't rain related though, and may not be your issue. Just thought I'd post his experience and give you a TTT.
Old 10-14-2005, 12:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do you have the exact code? I just did a search in the PCM Diag & Tuning section for P0440 and P0442 and found a bunch of threads.