General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Pop up headlights

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2005, 01:37 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pop up headlights

Okay I have a 99 TA last night my driver side headlight motor started acting funky. The headlight pops up fine but when it goes down the motor keeps running after the light goes down for like 10 secs before it stops. What does this mean and do I have to replace the headlight motor.
Old 10-22-2005, 03:28 PM
GQ
12 Second Club

your gear inside the motor is stripped. it is very common if you do a search you will find a million others.. basically you have a few options.
1. take the motor out, pry it open and take the gear and rotate it 180*.
2. replace the entire motor.
3. replace the gear with a brass one

i have heard lots ofsuccess with the brass gear with the exception of a few. i am one of the lucky few.. i stripped out 2 brass gears before just buying a new damn motor. up to you. gl with what you choose. also fyi, if you dont want the annoying grinding noise every time you lock your car, you can pull the fuze for the hl motor. -g
Old 10-25-2005, 12:58 AM
Teching In

lol thats funny cause i jus had that prblm, go 2 a chevy or pontiac dealer doesnt matter which one and order a new driver side head light motor. they call it a actuator its $160 in the mean time jus pull the fuzes in the box in the engine compartment rite next 2 the head light.
Old 10-25-2005, 09:07 AM
TECH Apprentice

Really, you don't have to take out the motor. Mine done this last year and all I done was manually crank the light up, disconnect the lever to the motor, turn on the lights and turn them back off. Conect everything and crank the light back down. This proceedure turns the motor to the "good" side.
Old 10-26-2005, 08:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not sure if we're allowed to post links to non-sponsors. I figure it's alright since none of the sponsors sell it. You could go here and buy a brass gear:
brass gear Lots of good info about our headlight motors too!