General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

parking for winter

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2005, 11:49 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default parking for winter

what's up guys,
i just put the SS away for winter and was wondering what steps i should take. i sprayed some wd-40 on the brakes and such, and left the e-brake off. should i disconnect the battery or will that screw with the computer? anything else you guys can think of or that you guys do? and yes, parking the car sucks a bunch
thanks
dan
Old 10-28-2005, 07:34 AM
On The Tree

I put mine a storage unit with an oil change and a full tank of gas.As for the battery I just left it hooked up and just started every 3-4weeks move the car around to help with the tires.If you disconnect the battery the computer will just have to relearn idle when you hook it back up.I dont think you would lose a tune,if it was tuned.
Old 10-28-2005, 07:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm going to simply put mine to the side of the house when it starts snowing, under a cover. I'll fill the tank with a Sta-Bil mix and take the battery out. I have a Battery Tender that I'll have on the battery all winter. The battery was new this year and I don't want to let it simply discharge. I don't start mine while it's stored, so this way works for me.

I've been using the Battery Tender since the mid-90's on my motorcycle and mower batteries and it works great.

Last edited by Mr Incredible; 10-28-2005 at 09:20 PM.
Old 10-29-2005, 04:07 AM
TECH Addict

Winter is usually serious mod time for me, but when that's not happening I store my T/A in it's own 2-car garage, up on jackstands to take pressure off tires (allthough I have been told that the new radials don't 'flat-spot' like the old tires did), full tank of gas with Sta-Bil additive, leave battery in car but attach Battery Tender (and you have to buy a good one - the cheap tenders will fry the battery), and finally protected with indoor car cover.

-Jay-