General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

How to remove charcoal canister?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2005, 02:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to remove charcoal canister?

I'm still troubleshooting my SES light on my 96 SS and it seems to be coming on when the purge kicks in. Since I have an extra charcoal canister from my last Camaro i figured I would swap it out. I can't figure out how to get that plastic strap undone that holds the canister in place. I don't want to break or crack the plastic strap so what is the trick to removing it?
Old 10-31-2005, 09:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I ended up forcing it off the bracket to get it out. At least I didn't break anything. I checked up at the intake by sucking on the purge line and there was almost no resistance and a bunch of tasty bits of charcoal material! A couple of the short purge line rubber hoses were dry rotted and loose so I replaced them. The canister itself must be shot because you can shake it and hear the charcoal bits moving around. I put in my slightly used canister and hooked all the lines back up and tested again at the intake and there's much more resistance so that's a good sign. I think the bad purge line/canister situation was allowing too much unmetered air into the engine causing the lean condition which resulted in the P0300 code. I'll take the car to work tomorrow to see if the code comes back. I'm hoping that's the only issue but I'm worried the purge solenoid at the intake is contaminated from the charcoal bits so I'll probably be replacing that as well.

Quick Reply: How to remove charcoal canister?