General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Cruise Control Effect In An M6

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2005, 10:33 AM
Sold The Fun Stuff :(

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cruise Control Effect In An M6

A friend of mine has a 2001 SS and the car has a few small bolt ons, but is stock for the most part. He is experiencing the "cruise control effect" but the stock tuning is untouched, and he hasn't made any mods that would effect his car. When he is at speed and pressed the clutch in, the RPMs will hang around 1500-2000 RPMs instead of falling back like normal. He has a fresh battery in it, and he's going to check the throttle cable. Any other ideas on things he can check or why this is happening?

Also, besides the throttle cable, what is the secondary cable coming from the throttle body (not sure if his car has ACS or not). Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 11-01-2005, 04:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

look into the tb and see if its caked with oil. try cleaning.
Old 11-01-2005, 05:49 PM
TECH Addict

The same thing happens to my car now, ever since i installed my SLP Longutbes and True Duals. I have no idea either when im driving isntead of the RPMs dropping after i engage the clutch they drop to 1500-2000RPM. My car still drives perfectly fine i think its maybe a tune problem.
-Joel
Old 11-02-2005, 11:59 AM
Sold The Fun Stuff :(

I can maybe see that with the longtubes, but this guys car is stock except for a filter and cutout. No reason tuning should have anything to do with anything. I'll tell him to check the TB. Any other suggestions?
Old 11-02-2005, 09:37 PM
11 Second Club

Could be a problem resulting from the filter. If it is an oiled filter, it may be over oiled; causing the maf sensors to be coated in oil. This could (and has) caused people problems. My car does the same thing, only reving down is very slow after a long cruise, and hangs at whatever rpm you let off at for a little while. The car didn't do this new and the only thing I have changed is the maf has been de-screened. Some cars are finicky with respect to the maf.
Old 11-02-2005, 11:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I just noticed this on mine too. I was on the highway and i pushed in the clutch and i still heard the engine and i was like wtf and it stuck for about 3 seconds and went away. Happens every once in a while. I guess i should look into it. So it basically can just be an over filled oil filter??
Old 11-03-2005, 06:59 AM
11 Second Club

Yep. Another sign of an over oiled filter is bad gas mileage. Just spray it down (gently) with some electrical cleaner. DO NOT touch the actual sensor.