General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Small backfire/pop issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2005, 07:39 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Small backfire/pop issue

Probably not anything major, but as long as I've owned the car (1 year / 5000 miles) it'll pop through the exhaust when shifting from 1st to 2nd only when the car is first started in the morning and it's cold. If I let it warm up for maybe 5 minutes then no problems. If I'm running a little late and jump in the car and go it'll do it just in the first couple minutes of driving and then stops. It's right when I depress the clutch to shift and if I shift almost too-early at a lower rpm it doesn't do it either. Small exhaust leak? Tune-up? Other than the typical clutch/master cylinder crap the car runs flawlessly and no codes stored. Currently has 44k miles on it and as far as I know everything is still original. Only thing that I'm not sure about is the service records from the dealer/original owner show that they had to replace a bunch of exhaust stuff for some reason under warranty and I'm not 100% they used SLP parts like are supposed to be on the hawk.

Any ideas?
Old 11-05-2005, 10:59 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

There was a recent post about this. Was it you & are still having problems, or is this a new one? Anyway, & with no SES, the only time my LS1 has backfired @ a predictable time is when the plug gaps were too large. Check them & reduce .005" @ a time. Could be other things, but, this is usually the case. Have read a lot of posts here where people are claiming that an LS1 backfire is normal. I don't consider a backfire to be normal. Will probably find that one or more plugs are gapped incorrectly. If all are the same, then reduce as mentioned.
Old 11-05-2005, 03:09 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

MIne does the same thing didnt do it til i got loud mouth but i think its normal
Old 11-05-2005, 03:12 PM

It is your AIR system. It is used to introduce clean air into the exhaust to help the Cat's function properly during cold start up. Nothing to worry about. But if you deleted and removed the air system it would go away.
Old 11-06-2005, 07:05 AM
Staging Lane

LS1 450, nope, wasn't me. I did look but the conditions of the one thread I found weren't quite the same. As far as I know the plugs have never been out so I ought to just check 'em anyway.

Slow, I understand a little bit of that is normal, but I'll get one loud bang the first time I shift and that doesn't seem normal to me.

Dave, thanks for the heads up, I'll look into that after I check plugs. Is there a thread already on removing the AIR system? (Still learning my way around the board - big, lots of sections )