General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Sputter at high RPM

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2005, 12:59 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sputter at high RPM

I just bought my first ls1 today. I have taken a ride in a few of them previously, and was wondering why my car feels different. I take off in WOT in 2nd gear, and it will run through the rpms fine until I reach about 4500-6000 and it sputters like it is 'missing'. The lady that I bought it from sad that when she last filled up the car with gas, she put regular in. Would having a regular gas in a premium gas car effect it this way? More details on the sputter...It will hesitate a little bit in increments of about ~500 RPM. Only does it a WOT. The ls1 is a 2002 engine. Fuel filter? Fuel pump? Injectors clogged? Is it time for sea foam? Someone give me some insight to this problem.
Old 11-09-2005, 09:31 AM
TECH Regular

at that RPM, your compression is high enough that 87 octane shouldn't make any difference. Although, mine runs rougher on 87, but I notice it at lower RPMs. It could be things like fuel pump, EGR valve, plug, wire, coil, injector, etc. But try taking off the Traction control (TCS) and see what happens... If nothing, I would run some injector cleaner through and 93 octane and see if it is different. If those don't work, you'll have to look at all the other stuff. Good luck!
Old 11-09-2005, 11:16 AM
Staging Lane

I figured that could be the case. I will try the premium gas with injector cleaner, and then I will check the fuel pump. The last thing I want to do is to spend 4 hours changing out plugs and wires. Where can I buy sea foam? What exactly is it good for?

Also, I hear a small yet very fast ticking sound at high RPM also. The engine is fairly new(34k miles), so I doubt it would be internal, but I am not saying that it can't be.
Old 11-09-2005, 11:40 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could it be valve float? Just an idea, not sure the criteria related to valve float, but it sounds like it.
Old 11-09-2005, 05:13 PM

Could be a lot of things, but if there is 87 octane in there, the first thing to do is get good gas in there. Run the 87 LOW. Wait until you get the check gagues light for Fuel. Then fill up with 93. Do NOT run WOT or beat on the car until the 87 is gone. Running 87 is MORE a problem at higher RPM's!
Old 11-09-2005, 05:14 PM

Also Plugs & wires is something you should learn to do yourself. The first time will probably take 2 hours if you take your time.
Old 11-09-2005, 05:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If it is only sputtering at high RPMs then it probably has to do with fuel delivery. My first bet would be to change the fuel filter and check the air filter. If the air filter is dirty, change it also. And as stated above, Sea Foam or Lucas Injector Cleaner would be a good idea. I wouldn't do spark plugs until all other easy methods have been tried since spark plugs are such a PITA.
Old 11-10-2005, 01:30 AM
Staging Lane

I didn't hardly notice the sputtering or the ticking tonight. Even when I was racing my first srt-4.. right next to the Bullet The car definately pulls better, well there isn't a whole lot of comparison to a V6, but it is fast.

I took the car to autozone to get the SES light diagnosed. Turns out it must be the precat o2 sensor(passenger). P1153 & P0151 are the codes. I am going to replace it with a corvette o2 sensor(rear o2). Bosch 13111 I do believe. Does everyone think that this is an ok sensor? Or should I go with the Denso? Also, regarding the passenger side o2 sensor....I can not find it, lol. I see the one on the drivers side(pre-cat) but not the one on the passenger side, Can anyone post a pic to make this a little easier to find? I appreciate the help guys.
Old 11-10-2005, 11:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Are you replacing a precat (front O2) with a vette rear O2? I wouldn't do this. I would get a front as a replacement. They are different part numbers in the system so I think there may be a slight difference. The difference may just be wire length. I'm not sure. But I wouldn't put a rear O2 in the front O2s place.
Old 11-10-2005, 12:11 PM

F-body front & rear O2's are the same. Not sure about the vette ones. I have New Bosch ones in my SS.
Old 11-10-2005, 12:23 PM
Staging Lane

I used the search function on the P1153 Code, and a lot of people said that the proper heat was not getting to the o2 sensor. The corvette rears run at a higher ampere?? I don't know if that is the right word, but they are more sensitive, and I won't have a problem with the o2 sensor not switching.

Where is the damn passenger side o2 sensor??!! Someone post a pic please.
Old 11-10-2005, 03:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by davered00ss
F-body front & rear O2's are the same. Not sure about the vette ones. I have New Bosch ones in my SS.
I have heard the same but the different part #s cause me to question that statement. I think it may just be the length of the wires.
Old 11-10-2005, 03:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sick14SecV6
I used the search function on the P1153 Code, and a lot of people said that the proper heat was not getting to the o2 sensor. The corvette rears run at a higher ampere?? I don't know if that is the right word, but they are more sensitive, and I won't have a problem with the o2 sensor not switching.

Where is the damn passenger side o2 sensor??!! Someone post a pic please.
The Bank 2 Sensor 1 is high up on the exhaust. It isn't on the manifold but is just a little lower past the flange to the cat pipe. You should see it just before the cat if I can remember correctly.

Quick Reply: Sputter at high RPM