General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

alternator problem

Old 11-10-2005, 11:16 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default alternator problem

Okay...so first things first i my lights were pulsing and my alternator was whirring....bad bearings...

So i had someone install a Duralast one from autozone....but on the way home the car died. Then I returned it...got a new one...and a new battery...and it still only sits at the top of the yellow (like 11 volts) and slowly will drop down until the battery is dead.

My alternator isnt charging my battery.....so i bring it to Midas

It turns out that the guy who originally tried to fix my original alternator ripped the plug of that red wire that plugs into the top of the alternator...all thats left is a hanging red wire.. (not the big wire from the positive side of the battery...the other one)

What does it do? Would that plug not being connected affect my battery charging

Please help!

Thanks, Greg
Old 11-11-2005, 02:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would say so. I can't quite recall which wire you're referring to, but it obviously is needed.
Old 11-11-2005, 06:13 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yes if this pulg is not pluged in the alternator will not charge the battery. I can't remember exactly what it does but it is like a reference of sorts. Your alternator doesn't just put out the same amount of power all the time it adjust to the need of the car. like if you turn on more stuff in the car(i.e. lights, stereo, rear defrost) it will work harder. it does this so that if you aren't drawing a lot of currrent and the battery is in good shape it doesn't put more of a strain than it has to on the crank and being less of a horse power drain
Old 11-11-2005, 08:48 PM
Staging Lane

nice thanks....one question.

i got a 4 wire plug...but only one red wire is supposed to connect to it...which one is it?
Old 11-12-2005, 12:55 PM
Staging Lane

Hey man,

I had very similar issues with my alternator and I changed it my self. It was a bitch getting that thing out. I could not get the power (the big red one) off of the OEM alternator. I had to cut it. Also I noticed that my small red wire broke too. I fixed it by pushing the connector for that wire out of the plug and sodering the wire back on to the connector. I filed down so it would fit back into the OEM plug and walla, it work fine. I haven't had any issues since.

Believe you me, I was freaking out, but after I collected my self and came up with a plan, no problems

Good luck.

Search this Thread