General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Power Steering woes...

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2005, 05:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Power Steering woes...

Well, I knew this was going to happen sooner or later. Sometimes now when I'm slowing down to make a turn, like pulling into my driveway, etc. I lose the power steering and have to muscle it in there. Then sometimes it is fine. I think my fluid my need to be drained, flushed, and refilled. The fluid that's in there has seen extreme temperatures on numerous occasions, boiling and steaming before. What is everone's opinion here?

Last edited by OneMeanZ; 11-27-2005 at 05:42 PM.
Old 11-27-2005, 08:20 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Changing the fluid would be a good place to start. But from my experiences if it isn't low on fluid and your not getting the power assist at low speed turning (only time it really helps) then I think it would be pump failure. You might be looking at a new pump
Old 11-27-2005, 08:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dschmittie1
Changing the fluid would be a good place to start. But from my experiences if it isn't low on fluid and your not getting the power assist at low speed turning (only time it really helps) then I think it would be pump failure. You might be looking at a new pump
Kinda what I was thinking, thanks for the response. If changing the fluid doesn't help, then a new power steering pump will probably be put on.